Orlando Salido vs. Mikey Garcia & Martirosyan vs. Lara on November 10th in Las Vegas
By Jason Kim: on November 10th, WBO featherweight champion Orlando Salido (39-11-2, 27 KO’s) will be defending his title against #1 WBO Mikey Garcia (29-0, 25 KO’s) at the MGM Grand in Las Vegas, Nevada. Also on the card will be unbeaten #3 WBC junior middleweight contender Vanes Martirosyan (32-0, 20 KO’s) facing would could turn out to be his first loss of his career against #2 WBC Erislandy Lara (17-1-1, 11 KO’s) in a WBC 154 pound final eliminator bout.
Mikey Garcia, 24, is totally unproven and hasn’t looked all that great in terms of skills in his fights against mostly 3rd tier opposition. Garcia has good power, but really bad ring habits. He doesn’t really throw combinations, doesn’t throw many punches, and mostly loads up with his single shots. He’s got power but not much more than Salido, who throws a lot more punches and is much more versatile. Garcia fights like he’s so stiff, and he’s going to have big time problems against Salido when he doesn’t fall down from Garcia’s single power shots.
Garcia has beaten Juan Carlos Martinez, Bernabe Concepcion and Maurcio Pastrana in his last three fights. In other words, journeyman level opposition. He’s not fought anyone that could really test him and he’s picked up a lot of bad habits because of his weak opposition.
I’d be surprised if Garcia makes it six rounds against Salido. He’s just not in the same league as him and needs to learn how to fight the proper way. Hopefully, after Garcia gets knocked out by Salido he can get a new trainer and learn how to fight properly because he reminds me of the Tin Man in the Wizard of Oz. He’s incredibly stiff.
Martirosyan is a Freddie Roach trained fighter who hasn’t fought anyone that you could call talented. His toughest fight came against Kassim Ouma in January 2010, and he won a controversial 10 round decision in that fight. Many boxing fans still feel that Martirosyan deserved to lose that fight. He’s gone backwards from that fight facing steadily weaker and weaker opposition up until this fight with Lara.
More Boxing News:
- Erislandy Lara fights on August 29 on FOX in Los Angeles
- Gary Russell Jr: Is Mikey Garcia scared to fight me?
- Errol Spence threatens to Go “Rogue” if Manny Pacquiao faces Mikey Garcia
- Manny Pacquiao adviser hints Mikey Garcia next for him
- Pacquiao might BEAT Golovkin says Mikey Garcia
- Tyson Fury vs. Deontay Wilder 3 being moved to February 2021
- Danny Garcia beats Errol Spence predicts Jaron Ennis’ coach Acosta
- Jorge Linares tests positive for coronavirus
- Fury vs. Wilder 3 must face mandatory Whyte says WBC president
- Pacquiao doesn’t rule out Golovkin bout at 154