Andre Ward knocks out a weight drained Chad Dawson
(Photo credit: Sumio Yamada) By Marcus Stewart: Without much surprise the bout between WBC and WBA super middleweight champion Andre Ward and Lineal Light heavyweight champion Chad Dawson was a complete let down after Andre Ward knocked Chad Dawson out in impressive yet predictable style.
You can tell from the word go that Chad Dawson wasn’t himself. He seemed slow, sluggish and lacked in much energy throughout the fight. Andre Ward successfully exploited that and was able to pot shot Dawson for most of the night with his jab and left hook. Many people felt that Andre Ward proved that he is without a doubt one of the best pound for pound fighters on the planet. I strongly disagree with this claim.
This is due to the fact that Ward refused to make it a “war” like he promised. Instead he did what he always does in fights, which is box on the back foot, land a shot and then grab hold. At times it looked embarrassing as it appeared that Ward was afraid to take any meaningful risks in the fight, hence why he kept clinching every time he launched an attack. He smothered Dawson’s work all night and it was very unsettling and generally boring to watch.
There has been a lot of hype for Andre Ward, however I feel as if he’s proven nothing against Chad Dawson, purely because he wasn’t fighting the best Chad Dawson. Even Jamie Moore was quoted as saying on Sky Sports 1 “I’d like to see Ward face Dawson at light heavyweight because then I believe that Dawson has a better chance of winning.” Andre Ward is nothing more than hype and I truly believe that in a rematch Carl Froch would completely destroy the overrated “son of god” which is Andre Ward.
More Boxing News:
- Andre Ward says Tyson Fury made MISTAKE announcing Joshua fight, giving Wilder motivation
- Andre Ward: ‘Shakur Stevenson has NO ceiling’
- Andre Ward talks Shakur Stevenson win over Caraballo
- Mike Tyson, Andre Ward, Anthony Joshua & more Showtime Classics in June
- Andre Ward doesn’t see Anthony Joshua beating Tyson Fury
- Vasily Lomachenko vs. Teofimo Lopez looking shaky for October 3
- Hearn offered 4 options to Canelo Alvarez, still NO reply
- Marriaga vs. Yap CANCELLED; Felix Verdejo and Will Madera make weight
- Artur Beterbiev vs. Fanlong Meng on September 25 in Ekaterinburg in Russia
- Chris Arreola has NO sympathy for Andy Ruiz Jr