Where does Mayweather go next if the Pacquiao fight is a non starter
By David Ishola: Last night after successfully beating Miguel Cotto and furthering his claim as the best fighter of a generation Floyd Mayweather effectively ruled out a fight with Manny Pacquiao and saying that it is down to Bob Arum not wanting to do the fight which begs the question, where does Floyd Mayweather go next if Mayweather/Pacquiao isn’t a viable next option for either man.
We all know that the next thing up for Floyd Mayweather is a 90 day stint in jail thus meaning any future fight with anyone at all wouldn’t happen until the end of the year, say November or December at the earliest. The problem is though who is around that is good enough outside of Manny Pacquiao is taking on and maybe giving Floyd Mayweather a run for his money.
Last night Oscar De La Hoya ruled out Saul Alvarez stating that he wasn’t yet ready whilst none of Andre Berto, Amir Khan, Timothy Bradley, Lamont Peterson, Mike Jones or Devon Alexander are good enough and Floyd Mayweather had already beaten Shane Mosley, Juan Manuel Marquez Victor Ortiz and now Miguel Cotto as well.
Had he not took such a beating against Miguel Cotto then simply based on name value Antonio Margarito could be a possibility although seeing as he is contracted to Top Rank and Bob Arum that almost immediately rules him out which doesn’t really leave any real options left for Floyd Mayweather.
I know there was talk of doing Mayweather/Morales before Eric Morales lost to Danny Garcia and I didn’t think even before that loss it was a fair fight as Eric Morales is even more past his prime than Shane Mosley. Brandon Rios also attempted to get involved with Floyd Mayweather but i find him to be very overrated and nowhere near that level which leaves the question just who faces Floyd Mayweather next if not Manny Pacquiao and will people even care who either Floyd Mayweather or Manny Pacquiao faces from now on if not each other.
More Boxing News:
- Conor McGregor looking desparate, still wants Pacquiao fight
- Arum approached by Kell Brook for Terence Crawford fight
- Errol Spence threatens to Go “Rogue” if Manny Pacquiao faces Mikey Garcia
- Manny Pacquiao adviser hints Mikey Garcia next for him
- Mayweather reacts to Mike Tyson vs. Roy Jones Jr fight announcement
- Gervonta Davis calling himself “130/135 King”
- Errol Spence has “screenshotted” his doubters, he’ll gloat after Nov.21
- Jermall Charlo gives Sergiy Derevyanchenko a warning: “What round is it going to be?”
- The Trio Vying For British Glory: Chad Sugden on Facing Shakan Pitters and Craig Richards
- Broner: Tank Davis will fight Ryan Garcia after Leo Santa Cruz