Haye says Vitali’s manager has retracted agreement to fight him
By William Mackay: Former WBA heavyweight David Haye thought he had an agreement from WBC heavyweight champion Vitali Klitschko for him to fight him next. Vitali even said it himself tonight during his brother IBF/WBA/WBO heavyweight champion Wladimir Klitschko’s fight against Jean Marc Mormeck that he would be fighting the 31-year-old Haye next. However, Haye is now saying on his twitter page that Vitali’s management has retracted the offer to him for a fight and Haye isn’t happy about it.
Haye said this on his twitter page: “Just heard Bernd Boente [Vitali’s manager] has retracted Vitali’s agrement to fight (via Sky). Brent obviously wants more Mormeck nights. Maybe someone should tell Bernt Boente that he works for Vitali…Vitali said today he wants to fight, so why’s Bernt Boente b**ching out? This is getting silly now! Vitali gave another interview via RTL (in ring) and said “I will be his next fight.” Boente looked pissed. hahah…After hearing Vitali’s interview on Sky, I feel he’s not been given all the facts by his team about me! As I HAVE already agreed to all terms.”
There it is. It looks like Vitali and his manager Boente are going in different directions. Vitali says he wants the fight but then his manager takes over for him. But if Vitali really wants this fight, he’ll obviously take charge of the situation and agree to take it. He doesn’t have many fights left in him and he’d be shooting himself in the foot if he chooses to fight someone else rather than Haye in his next fight. Vitali doesn’t have too interesting fights. He can take on guys like Bermane Stiverne, Chris Arreola, Alexander Dimitrenko, Kubrat Pulev or Tyson Fury next but not none of those fights will be as big as a Haye fight. It doesn’t matter that Haye was beaten in his last fight and isn’t as popular as he once was; he’s still more popular than those fighters. Boente looks to be playing hardball with Haye to get him to agree to the offer that they gave him recently that Haye rejected. He might have to accept that offer if he’s to get a fight with Vitali unless Haye wants to take a risk that Vitali will back down and agree to what he wants.
More Boxing News:
- David Haye discusses coming out of retirement for Joshua vs. Fury winner
- David Haye: WBC can give Dillian Whyte a Gold or Platinum title
- David Haye: I’ll come out of retirement for Joshua-Fury winner
- David Haye: ‘Joshua has the tools to beat Fury’
- David Haye surprised by Deontay Wilder’s comments on loss to Tyson Fury
- Tyson vs. Holyfield 3 Preview
- Ryan Garcia: Jorge Linares fight ISN’T happening
- Saunders: Canelo is in my WORLD inside an empty arena
- Terence Crawford: ‘I’ll fight whoever they put in front of me’
- Keith Thurman ready to fight behind-closed doors