Eloy Perez tests positive for cocaine after loss to Broner
By Chris Williams: No.1 WBO super featherweight contender Eloy Perez (23-1, 7 KO’s) reportedly tested positive after his 4th round TKO loss to WBO super featherweight champion Adrien Broner last month on February 25th in Saint Louis, Missouri. According to Dan Rafael of ESPN, Perez’s management, Garcia Boxing, informed Golden Boy Promotions, the promoters for Broner, about the positive drug test results.
Richard Schaefer, the CEO of Golden Boy Promotions, said “I’m obviously disappointed by this. There’s no excuse and nothing more you can say. It’s not good.”
At least it wasn’t a performance enhancing drug; that’s about all you can say. Perez is excellent fighter and if he tested positive for a drug that some people use for recreational uses then that’s something he needs help with. Garcia Boxing has reportedly let Perez go from his contract. I personally think Perez should be helped. He’s an excellent fighter and despite getting dominated by Broner, he’s still someone that can make a mark at super featherweight against the other champions or else when Broner eventually moves up in weight. Perez will likely be a champion in the future as long he’s not messed up by the loss to Broner.
Perez could have his boxing license suspended by the Missori Department of Recreation.
Perez had been doing really well up until he faced Broner, defeating the likes of Daniel Jimenez and Ira Terry. In facing Broner, Perez couldn’t handle Broner’s speed, power, counter punching ability and his accurate pin point shots. The power advantage that Broner had was perhaps the biggest problem that Perez had going against him in the Broner fight.
Perez is young enough to learn and this should be nothing more than a small blip in his career. He’ll be okay and as long as they don’t throw him back in with Broner, I see Perez rebounding well to start winning again.
More Boxing News:
- Haney sends duck message to Tank, Broner, Lomachenko, Ryan and Teofimo
- Devin Haney intrigued by Adrien Broner fight
- Broner: Tank Davis will fight Ryan Garcia after Leo Santa Cruz
- Adrien Broner and Devin Haney interested in fighting
- Adrien Broner: If I return to 135, I’ll destroy the weight class
- Errol Spence Jr motivated by the doubters
- Charlo vs. Derevyanchenko and Jermell vs Rosario preview & prediction
- Josh Taylor vs. Apinun Khongsong this Saturday on Sept.26
- Sergiy Derevyanchenko training camp quotes for Saturday against Jermall Charlo
- Kell Brook: I can hurt Terence Crawford 100%