Cotto: I’ll beat Mayweather Jr. on May 5th
By Jason Kim: WBA junior middleweight champion Miguel Cotto (37-2, 30 KO’s) likes his chances against mega star Floyd Mayweather Jr. (42-0, 26 KO’s) in their huge clash on May 5th, and feels he’s he’ll come out on top in this fight.
Cotto said this on his twitter today: “I’m back in the ring on May 5th, and I will beat him [Mayweather].”
Mayweather Jr. will be facing arguably the best fighter at 154lbs in Cotto, and this is going to be a fight for Cotto’s World Boxing Association title at full weight. It’s going to be asking a lot for Mayweather Jr. to win this bout.
Cotto will have the advantage in power over Mayweather. He’ll also have the much better jab of the two. What Mayweather brings to the table in this fight is speed and a lot of it. He’s got much faster hands and is harder to hit. Cotto won’t beat Mayweather by trying to box him the way that Cotto did with his last two opponents Ricardo Mayorga and Antonio Margarito. He’s going to have to take the fight to Mayweather and try to break him down with pressure.
Cotto is never short on confidence and hasn’t lost a fight since his defeat against Manny Pacquiao in 2009. There are some people who feel that Cotto would still be undefeated today if not for his controversial fight with Antonio Margarito in 2008, where some boxing fans felt that Margarito may have beaten Cotto with loaded hand wraps. There’s no proof of that happening but that’s what a lot of fans think. In Cotto’s fight with Pacquiao in 2009, Cotto was pressured into agreeing to fight the Filipino star at a catchweight of 145lbs, which as turns out, weakened Cotto for this fight. Cotto would have stood a much better chance without the catchweight, but he was really fighting at too light of weight anyway, because Cotto should have been fighting at 154 even back then. Now he’s at the right weight and it’s going to be interesting to see how well he does against Mayweather.
More Boxing News:
- Gervonta Davis training with Floyd Mayweather, preparing for Santa Cruz
- Floyd Mayweather Jr offered “sick” money for exhibition fights
- Mayweather reacts to Mike Tyson vs. Roy Jones Jr fight announcement
- Floyd Mayweather: Pacquiao fights because he has to, I fight because I want to
- Oscar Valdez BLAMES Mayweather for fighter ducking the best
- David Benavidez: Is it time to move up to 175?
- Jean Pascal is Artur Beterbiev’s WBC mandatory at 175
- Hearn hints Fury won’t get same deal with Joshua if he vacates WBC title without fighting Whyte
- David Benavidez 2.8 pounds overweight, loses WBC title for Roamer Angulo fight
- Porter analyzes Errol Spence vs. Danny Garcia, expects to fight the winner