Arum risking blowing big money fight by matching Pacquiao against Bradley
By Chris Williams: We’ve seen Bob Arum blow it in the past by not making a fight that needed to be made with Yuriorkis Gamboa vs. Juan Manuel Lopez until it was too late, and now we could be seeing that happening again with Arum not making the Manny Pacquiao vs. Floyd Mayweather Jr. fight.
That fight could have been made a long time ago, but we’re seeing Pacquiao fight new Top Rank fighter Timothy Bradley on June 9th in Las Vegas. I know some fans and writers think this is a clear win for Pacquiao, but I’m not one of them. I think Pacquiao is starting to shown signs of slipping as a fighter, and we’ve been seeing that in his last three fights.
Bradley has got the tools to make Pacquiao look even worse than 38-year-old Juan Manuel Marquez did last November in Pacquiao’s controversial – some say gift – decision. Pacquiao got the win in that fight, but he can’t continue to get wins over and over again by controversial decision. He got the win against Marquez in that fight, but if Bradley fights even better than Marquez did, we could see Pacquiao get whipped and that will be a big roadblock for a Mayweather-Pacquiao fight.
I think it could still get made but not unless Pacquiao took a huge cut in his asking price. I know he wants a 50-50 deal right now, but if he gets spanked by Bradley in June, Pacquiao and Arum will be lucky if they get a 70-30 deal from Mayweather. Even that would be Mayweather showing kindness. I don’t think Pacquiao would take it, meaning he’d have to settle for much smaller money against Bradley in a rematch or some other guy that Arum would dig up for him. I don’t think it’ll be smart for Pacquiao to fight Bradley again after if he loses to him because a second loss to Bradley would completely finish the gravy train. I would hope that Arum would talk some sense into Pacquiao and not let him do that.
More Boxing News:
- Thurman still mentally struggling from his loss to Pacquiao
- Thurman wants Pacquiao, Crawford, Brook, Porter & Mikey Garcia
- Shawn Porter: I’m confident I’ll beat Manny Pacquiao
- Arum has Kell Brook as Crawford’s Plan-B if no Pacquiao fight
- Pacquiao doesn’t rule out Golovkin bout at 154
- Canelo vs. Yildirim purse bid rescheduled for October 6
- Hearn says Whyte’s career will be “terminal” if he loses to Povetkin on Nov.21
- Erickson Lubin ready for Jermell Charlo rematch
- Devin Haney and Yuriorkis Gamboa reach an agreement for Nov.7 fight on DAZN
- Fury advises Joshua to vacate WBO belt to duck Oleksandr Usyk