Schaefer upset that ‘Mystery Man’ was seen celebrating with Peterson after his win over Khan
By Sean McDaniel: Richard Schaefer of Golden Boy Promotions is determined to get Amir Khan’s lost IBF and WBA light welterweight titles back one way or another, even if takes legal action to do so. Schaefer was angered on Friday after learning that a mystery man seen speaking and sitting alongside one of the judges during Khan’s loss to Lamont Peterson last month had been celebrating after the fight with Peterson and his team.
Schaefer said to supersport.com “The fact is there is that ‘mystery man’ in the hat who is seen sitting ringside and is seen, as well handling score cards. I’ve been told he is seen on tape celebrating with Peterson; all happy that Peterson won. I hope the IBF and WBA are both going to order an immediate rematch. That would be, at the very least, the right thing to do.”
Schaefer wants the results to be overturned with preferably the fight ruled a ‘no-contest’, but Schaefer says he’d settle for an immediate rematch being ordered by the two sanctioning bodies. With the money that Golden Boy is paying for the appeal of Khan’s 12 round decision loss to Peterson, it might seem like a big letdown if all Schaefer and Khan can get out of this is an immediate rematch rather than a no-contest or having Khan given the victory.
For that to happen, the IBF and WBA will have to take away the two one point deductions made against khan by referee Joe Cooper for Khan’s pushing off on Peterson. That may not be realistic because pushing is considered a foul when it’s done too often. Khan pushed Peterson over 50 times in the fight and was pushing him repeatedly in the 12th round. However, the WBA and IBF still could have the win changed to a no contest based on the ‘mystery man’ appearing to hold and look over one of the judges’ scorecards.
Schaefer understands that the sanctioning bodies might not want to overturn Peterson’s win due to the controversy that it could start up.
More Boxing News:
- Amir Khan with NO interest in fighting without fans present
- Khan wants Mayweather and Pacquiao before retiring
- Amir Khan: ‘Kell Brook needs me more than I need him’
- Amir Khan wants Manny Pacquiao fight in Qatar
- Amir Khan wants Neeraj Goyat and Manny Pacquiao in next 2 fights before retirement
- Adrien Broner says he’s going back to the STREETS without $10 million
- Julio Cesar Martinez – is he the next star at 112?
- Fury wants to surpass Mayweather and Canelo with biggest contract
- Devin Haney vs. Luke Campbell – Hearn wants this next
- Fury expects to fight Joshua x 2 next year, but not overlooking Wilder