Pacquiao says negotiations with Mayweather are underway: Is Manny on the same page as Arum?
By Eric Thomas: WBO welterweight champion Manny Pacquiao revealed to the media in the Philippines earlier today that he’s in negotiations for a fight against WBC welterweight champion Floyd Mayweather Jr. However, Mayweather said nothing about this in an interview yesterday and said he would be the one making an offer to Pacquiao when the time came. Pacquiao said to abs-cbn news “Negotiations are ongoing for my fight with Mayweather, but nothing is final.” Was Pacquiao just name dropping Mayweather’s name for attention from the media?
You have to wonder whether Pacquiao is on the same page as his promoter Bob Arum about the so called negotiations because Mayweather isn’t talking and Arum has mentioned he wants Pacquiao to fight Juan Manuel Marquez next for a fourth time. Pacquiao doesn’t appear interested in facing Marquez again judging by his statements. Pacquiao is satisfied with his narrow win and wants to move on. Arum could nix the idea of a Pacquiao-Mayweather fight, and Mayweather didn’t sound interested in fighting Pacquiao in a recent interview, pointing out that he’s being sued by Pacquiao.
The Filipino fighter may have to drop his lawsuit against Mayweather if he wants to make that fight happen, and he also may have to do some convincing to his promoter Arum that the Mayweather fight is the wise move to make at this time. Arum is looking out for Pacquiao, and sees the money that can be made in a fourth fight with Marquez. There is a lot of danger in another fight against Marquez, to be sure, but a Mayweather fight could be the end of the road for Pacquao and his long winning streak. If Mayweather shuts Pacquiao out in a lopsided 12 round decision win, a fight against Marquez isn’t what it is now. Pacquiao perhaps should listen to his promoter Arum and take that Marquez fight, which is a much safer bet than facing Mayweather and possibly getting clobbered.
Arum knows what he’s doing in protecting Pacquiao and putting him in winnable fights. The Marquez fight is the smart move right now. The money is there and Pacquiao and likely beat Marquez again by throwing and landing more shots. It won’t be pretty and I see another close win for Pacquiao, but at least he’ll win. Mayweather is probably too good for Pacquiao and he could put a halt to Pacquiao’s run of luck.
More Boxing News:
- Mikey Garcia says he’s fighting Manny Pacquiao next 100%, not Conor McGregor
- Pacquiao has started training after Conor McGregor Tweet
- Freddie Roach tells Conor Mcgregor, Pacquiao beats you easier than Hatton
- Conor McGregor says he’s fighting Manny Pacquiao next in Middle East
- KSI addresses Mayweather vs. Logan Paul rumors: “This ain’t happening”
- Patrick Teixeira calls out Jermell Charlo – “I’ll end his career”
- Andy Ruiz Jr to fight in early 2021, starts training with Reynoso & Canelo today
- Devin Haney: Gamboa fight is a done deal, I can hurt him
- Oscar de La Hoya looking fast and powerful in mitts workout
- Canelo Alvarez has refiled his lawsuit against Golden Boy and DAZN