Cintron: I’m a better fighter than Saul Alvarez
By Allen Fox: Kermit Cintron has badly under performed in the past couple of years in fights against the likes of Antonio Margarito, Paul Williams, Carlos Molina, Sergio Martinez and Antwone Smith. However, he still thinks he’s a better fighter than WBC junior middleweight champion Saul “Canelo” Alvarez, who Cintron fights this Saturday night in Mexico.
It’s going to be tough on Cintron to prove he’s better because he’s looked terrible against arguably inferior opposition compared to Alvarez.
Cintron said to ringtv “I’m definitely ready for Canelo and for whatever he brings. I have a lot of experience and I’ve fought a lot of good fighters…I feel I’m a better fighter than he is.”
This is going to be a really hard fight for Cintron, because he’s not looked good and he’s going to have to all of a sudden show skills that he hasn’t shown in many years. Even in his prime, Cintron would have a lot of problems with a fighter like Alvarez.
The reason is simple. Alvarez has a lot of power, stamina and fights a lot like Juan Manuel Marquez. He’s not really a counter puncher by trade, but he’s very good at countering whatever his opponent throws at him with hard shots. The thing is when he hits you a split second after you’ve thrown a punch, he can really hurt you. Cintron may think twice before he throws shots in this fight once he starts tasting some of Alvarez’s power.
Cintron wants to win the fight, but he’s going to have to pay a heavy price to get a win in terms of taking a lot of punishment. We saw Cintron jump or fall out of the ring when the going got tough against Paul Williams in the past. Will Cintron fly out of the ring when he starts taking shots in this fight? I don’t know. I know strange accidents happen, as we saw in the Williams fight, but we could see Cintron getting hurt again when he starts to take big shots.
More Boxing News:
- New options for Canelo Alvarez’s fight in September
- Fury wants to surpass Mayweather and Canelo with biggest contract
- Saunders: Canelo is in my WORLD inside an empty arena
- Mayweather could have ended Canelo’s career – Mauricio Sulaiman
- Canelo Alvarez vs. Billy Joe Saunders still expected for 2020 – Eddie Hearn
- Andy Lee: Tyson Fury mentally BREAKS Anthony Joshua and stops him
- Mayweather & Haney working out on mitts; Tank Davis still a problem
- Luis Ortiz fighting in August or September, wants Mike Tyson
- Errol Spence GLOATING on taking Keith Thurman’s spot at the top of 147 lb division
- Gervonta Davis days with Mayweather Promotions could be numbered