Sergio Martinez ready to fight a rematch with Margarito if he beats Cotto
By Dan Ambrose: Sergio Martinez wants big fights against Floyd Mayweather Jr., Manny Pacquiao, Miguel Cotto, Julio Cesar Chavez Jr., Saul Alvarez and Antonio Margarito. However, Martinez’s best hope out of the bunch is if Margarito can somehow get past Cotto in their fight on December 3rd.
Margarito has no qualms about facing Martinez again, who Margarito beat by a 7th round TKO in 2000.
The odds of Martinez getting a fight with Margarito probably isn’t all that much better than it would be for the other fights unfortunately. The reason so is because Bob Arum, the promoter for both Cotto and Margarito, will likely push for an immediate third fight between the two fighters to help capitalize on whatever excitement that the 2nd fight generates.
The worst thing Arum can do is mess things up by putting Margarito in with Martinez and then Margarito gets blasted apart and possibly badly hurt to where he might have to retire from boxing. Arum isn’t going to let Margarito take an almost guaranteed beating against Martinez. He’d rather slip in another fight with Cotto, and likely another bout against Manny Pacquiao. After all, those would be in house fights where Arum would do really well.
Martinez would destroy both Cotto and Margarito, and likely on the same night if they were to let him. For that reason, Cotto and Margarito are off limits to him. They won’t ever fight Martinez unless he seriously start showing that he’s completely 100% shot. Arum want to risk a fight between Martinez and his fighters if there’s any chance that he can knock them out.
More Boxing News:
- Boxing’s Greatest Grudge Matches tonight on ESPNEWS
- Sergio Martinez making comeback, fighting Kerman Lejarraga in Dec. or Jan.
- Super welterweight division still up for grabs
- Julio Cesar Chavez Jr. to face Sergio Martinez in Sept. or Oct.
- Antonio Margarito: The “Loaded” Gloves and His Rivalry with Miguel Cotto on Dec 23 on Telemundo
- Chris Eubank Jr. still wants GGG and Canelo this year
- Whyte wants WBC to force Fury to fight him next in 2020
- Shakur Stevenson vs. Felix Caraballo possible for June 9
- Gassiev is better suited than Usyk at heavyweight – Abel Sanchez
- Evander Holyfield training with Wladimir Klitschko