Saul Alvarez says he doesn’t get involved in scandals, the WBC backs him
By Dan Ambrose: Photo credit: Alma Montiel – At a press conference on Wednesday, WBC junior middleweight champion Saul Alvarez isn’t admitting that he hit International Boxing Federation (IBF) light-flyweight champion Ulysses ‘Archie’ Solis with a two punch combination during a training incident at the Barranca de Oblates in Jalisco, Guadalajara, Mexico.
Solis suffered injury to his jaw and will have to undergo surgery to fix the problem. WBC president José Sulaimán is backing the 21-year-old Alvarez, believing he’s innocent. However, Sulaimán says they’ll still pay the medical costs for Solis.
Alvarez has a brief statement saying “I’m a young man that does not get involved in any scandals or trouble of any sort.”
Given that there’s no witnesses that can verify that this actually took place it looks like it’s Solis’ word against Alvarez’s.
Alvarez defends his WBC title on November 26th against former IBF welterweight champion Kermit Cintron on HBO in a fight that will be taking place in Mexico. This will be Alvarez’s 3rd title defense since winning the vacant WBC title earlier in the year in a win over Matthew Hatton. In his two title defenses Alvarez has defeated Ryan Rhodes and Alonso Gomez. However, Alvarez has taken criticism because he hasn’t taken on two of the top contenders in the division Alfredo Angulo and Vanes Martirosyan. Alvarez is going to have to face at least one of them in the near future, and it could be very tough for him to get past those fighters. Alvarez didn’t look very good in his last fight against Gomez, taking a lot of shots until he finally halted Gomez in the 6th round last September.
- Canelo Alvarez to defend against Gennadiy Golovkin in September
- Canelo to fight Golovkin next on Sept.17th, then Bivol rematch later
- Canelo could KO David Benavidez says Antonio Tarver
- Tim Bradley says Canelo Alvarez should wait until 2023 before fighting Dmitry Bivol again