Shaw looking to match Dirrell against Froch-Ward winner
By Scott Gilfoid: Gary Shaw, the promoter for super middleweight contender Andre Dirrrell (19-1, 13 KO’s), is hoping to match the 27-year-old Dirrell against the winner of the Super Six finals bout between WBC super middleweight champion Carl Froch (28-1, 20 KO’s) and WBA super middleweight champ Andre Ward (24-0, 13 KO’s), according to fighthype.com.
Shaw expects Ward to beat Froch and then in turn take on Dirrell in what will easily be the best fight that can be made in the super middleweight division. Shaw feels that Dirrell should be considered still unbeaten because his only loss of his career, a very, very questionable 12 round split decision to Froch in 2009, took place in Froch’s home city of Nottingham, England. Had the fight taken place in the United States, Shaw thinks Dirrell would have beaten Froch.
I’m in agreement with Shaw about that, but I also think Dirrell would have been given the decision over Froch in any other country in the entire world apart from the UK. Dirrell looked incredible against Froch, making him miss all night long and barely getting touched by him. I had Dirrell winning the fight by a landslide. I gave Froch several rounds only because he was fighting in his home country and figured that the judges would give him any of the rounds that were even slightly close. In truth, I only saw Froch win one actual round and the rest went to Dirrell except for the round in which he was docked a point for holding. Oddly enough, Froch wasn’t penalized for throwing rabbit punches, body slamming Dirrell and holding and hitting.
I don’t give Froch any chance whatsoever of beating Ward in the finals. Ward is too talented, Froch too slow and the class of Ward will show immediately in that fight. Ward can then move onto a great showdown with Dirrell that will captivate the boxing world.
More Boxing News:
- Mike Tyson, Andre Ward, Anthony Joshua & more Showtime Classics in June
- Carl Froch And Barker Talk Fighting On The Road In ‘The Rounds’
- Andre Ward doesn’t see Anthony Joshua beating Tyson Fury
- Anthony Joshua responds to Carl Froch’s complaining about P4P list
- Carl Froch NOT interested in Andre Ward rematch
- Nonito Donaire motivated for ‘The Takeover’ at 118
- Andy Lee: Tyson Fury mentally BREAKS Anthony Joshua and stops him
- Mayweather & Haney working out on mitts; Tank Davis still a problem
- Luis Ortiz fighting in August or September, wants Mike Tyson
- Errol Spence GLOATING on taking Keith Thurman’s spot at the top of 147 lb division