Mosley: I know I’ll beat Pacquiao
By Dan Ambrose: To some people, Shane Mosley doesn’t have a chance in his fight tonight against Manny Pacquiao. Just don’t tell that to the 39-year-old Mosley, because he’s not having any of it. He sees flaws in Pacquiao’s game and he knows that he will beat him. Mosley said “I know I’ll beat Pacquiao.” He said the same thing after watching Antonio Margarito fight. Mosley knew he would beat him and went out and did just that by stopping him in the 9th round in January 2009.
Mosley sees how wide open and out of control Pacquiao fights, and realizes this is a fight he can not only do well in but one that he can actually win. Mosley has spotted how Pacquiao leaves himself open for shots when he’s throwing flurries and knows he can get shots in there in between Pacquiao’s punches. At the same time, Mosley understands that he’s the bigger fighter and will have the ability to hit Pacquiao on the way in the same way that Erik Morales did in his first fight with Pacquiao in 2005.
Morales won that fight by jabbing and nailing Pacquiao with right hands from the outside. In their second and third fights, Morales drained himself making weight and wasn’t the same fighter he was in the first fight. But Morales was able to use his reach and boxing ability to beat Pacquiao. This is what Mosley intends on doing with Manny tonight. He’s going to jab him until his head falls off and then fire him up with right hands.
Pacquiao wastes a lot of punches with his tendency to throw an accumulation of shots. A lot of times Pacquiao just throws shots to have something out there. His punch accuracy against Joshua Clottey was atrocious with most of his punches badly missing. Naazim Richardson, Mosley’s trainer, pointed out that if a bullet shot at you misses, then we’re not worried about it. What he means is if Pacquiao can’t land his shots because they’re either blocked or dodged, then Pacquiao because a much more beatable fighter.
More Boxing News:
- Mayweather: McGregor won’t make the same money fighting Pacquiao as he did with me
- Pacquiao inks new deal with Paradigm Sports, is Conor McGregor next up?
- Manny Pacquiao interested in Conor McGregor fight
- Mikey Garcia says he’s fighting Manny Pacquiao next 100%, not Conor McGregor
- Pacquiao has started training after Conor McGregor Tweet
- Joshua vs. Fury to fight in May or June 2021, says Hearn
- Oleksandr Usyk ready to “explode” against Dereck Chisora on Saturday
- VIDEO: Floyd is Right – Too many belts in Boxing
- Opinion: PPVs and Subscriptions – The Cost of Consuming Boxing
- Dave Allen taking risky fight against Christopher Lovejoy on Saturday