Bradley rejects Khan’s offer; Maidana wants the fight
By William Mackay: According to Dan Rafael, WBC/WBO light welterweight champion Timothy Bradley (27-0, 11 KO’s) has formally rejected WBA light welterweight champion Amir Khan’s latest offer for a fight on July 23rd.
Bradley had already rejected one offer made to him for a fight with Khan, which was said to be in the neighborhood of $1.3 million. Khan and his promotional company Golden Boy Promotions then reportedly came back with a bigger offer yesterday of $1.4 million plus a 50-50 deal on the UK pay-per-view money that Khan would be bringing in.
However, it looks like Bradley’s not interested in that deal either, according to Rafael. That leaves Khan to have to pick between Erik Morales, who has already said no to a fight with Khan, Zab Judah, Marcos Maidana and Robert Guerrero.
HBO is said to be willing to show Khan against anyone of those fighters. And according to fightnews.com, Maidana really wants to step in and take the fight with Khan and try to avenge his narrow 12 round decision loss to Khan from last December. It’s a win-win fight for Khan, Maidana and for boxing fans, because the Khan-Maidana fight in December was awarded the fight of the year for 2010.
However, the major problem with putting together a rematch between Khan and Maidana is that Khan doesn’t appear to be eager to fight Maidana again, even though it’s a fight that boxing fans want to see and would likely easily draw much bigger numbers than Khan against Bradley.
It would probably bring in bigger numbers than Khan against Morales, Judah or Guerrero simply because of how exciting the first fight was between Khan and Maidana. So, will Khan take the fight with Maidana? Don’t hold your breath waiting for that to happen.
More Boxing News:
- Amir Khan to Marcos Maidana: “Let’s do it again”
- Amir Khan: Joshua has to go for the KILL against Fury
- Amir Khan denies being put DOWN by Manny Pacquiao in sparring
- Marcos Maidana showing off SIX-Pack abs
- Tim Bradley says Shakur Stevenson could be the successor to Floyd Mayweather Jr.
- Vasily Lomachenko vs. Teofimo Lopez looking shaky for October 3
- Hearn offered 4 options to Canelo Alvarez, still NO reply
- Marriaga vs. Yap CANCELLED; Felix Verdejo and Will Madera make weight
- Artur Beterbiev vs. Fanlong Meng on September 25 in Ekaterinburg in Russia
- Chris Arreola has NO sympathy for Andy Ruiz Jr