Roy Jones Jr. vs. Denis Lebedev being put together?
By Chris Williams: According to the latest boxing news gossip, 42-year-old Roy Jones Jr. (54-7, 40 KO’s) could be facing top cruiserweight contender Denis Lebedev (21-1, 16 KO’s) next. If this fight gets signed, you can pretty much guess who will be the one to emerge as the winner in this fight because Jones appears to be totally shot since 2005. Jones has lost his last two fights to Danny Green and Bernard Hopkins. Lebedev is without question the best fighter in the entire cruiserweight division bar none.
Although Lebedev lost his last fight to WBO cruiserweight champion Marco Huck last December, there are very few people who saw that fight that felt that Huck won the fight. You can still consider Lebedev unbeaten because he controlled the fight and did more than enough to beat Huck. Jones needs to think long and hard before he takes this fight with Lebedev because this isn’t a winnable fight for Jones, not at this point in his career. Lebedev is even better than Danny Green, and he easily took Jones out in a 1st round knockout in December 2009.
If Jones wants to get knocked out again, then Lebedev is the one he should fight because he’ll end matters quickly. Jones needs to either retire or go back to fighting the2nd tier fighters that he’s been facing to get wins in the past few years. This would be a bad fight for Jones because Lebedev is a quick southpaw with big power. It’s already been established that Jones has problems taking shots nowadays. Lebedev would be the worst possible opponent for him to fight.
More Boxing News:
- Mike Tyson – “Be afraid”
- Roy Jones Jr showing off mind-numbing hand speed
- Amir Khan says Terence Crawford can beat Floyd Mayweather
- Mike Tyson looking savage in new training video
- Badou Jack added to Mike Tyson vs. Roy Jones Jr card on Nov.28
- Let’s be honest about Vasily Lomachenko
- Lomachenko has undergone shoulder surgery following loss to Teofimo Lopez
- Lomachenko vs. Lopez peaked at around 3 million viewers on ESPN
- Dave Allen needs new opponent, Christian Hammer tests for COVID 19
- Teofimo Lopez – Bob Arum lists options for his next fight in 2021