Maidana says he doesn’t think Khan will give him a rematch, but Marcos still wants to fight him in Manchester
By William Mackay: Exciting Argentinean knockout puncher Marcos Maidana (29-2, 27 KO’s) would like nothing better than to get back in the ring and look to KO WBA light welterweight champion Amir Khan (24-1, 17 KO’s) in an immediate rematch after losing a 12 round decision to Khan in December.
Khan doesn’t have an opponent picked out for his next fight on April 16th in the UK and Maidana doesn’t have his next opponent selected either. However, Maidana doesn’t think Khan would be interested in giving him a rematch, even though their fight was voted the fight of the year for 2010 and ended up pleasing HBO executives greatly. Khan will likely take on someone like the old Junior Witter next, who has little power and hasn’t fought in over a year and half.
Speaking on his twitter, Maidana said “I don’t think Khan would give me a rematch, but I’d fight him tomorrow in Manchester. Rematch with Khan is not gonna happen next. I don’t make excuses for the first fight. He beat me. Let’s do it again.”
Maidana could end up fighting recently beaten Devon Alexander, although that fight is not really interesting bout given how passive and boring Alexander looked against WBO light welterweight champion Timothy Bradley last weekend.
Maidana had Khan on the brink of a knockout in their fight in December after staggering Khan with a huge right hand in the 10th. However, Maidana was unable to finish Khan off in the round and had to be content with battering Khan in the final three rounds while the referee periodically jumped in the pull Maidana off of Khan while he was bludgeoning Khan with power shots against the ropes.
More Boxing News:
- Amir Khan targeting Keith Thurman, Manny Pacquiao & Danny Garcia
- Amir Khan to Marcos Maidana: “Let’s do it again”
- Amir Khan: Joshua has to go for the KILL against Fury
- Amir Khan denies being put DOWN by Manny Pacquiao in sparring
- Marcos Maidana showing off SIX-Pack abs
- Vasily Lomachenko vs. Teofimo Lopez not looking good for Oct.3
- Erislandy Lara fights on August 29 on FOX in Los Angeles
- Devin Haney intrigued by Adrien Broner fight
- Anthony Joshua vs. Kubrat Pulev to fight in December with fans or without
- Leo Santa Cruz plans on burying Tank Davis with pressure on Oct.24