Booth says some info on Haye-Klitschko could be available next week
By William Mackay: Adam Booth, the trainer/manager for WBA heavyweight champion David Haye (25-1, 23 KO’s), says that he could have some information about a potential fight between Haye and IBF/WBO heavyweight champion Wladimir Klitschko (55-3, 49 KO’s) next week some time.
Haye earlier this week sent out a tweet dropping hints about a fight with Wladimir on July 2nd. In an article at ESPN.co.uk, Booth said “Maybe by the middle of next week things could have changed drastically.”
As of now, Haye is potentially going to fight either Ruslan Chagaev or Alexander Povetkin, his number #1 and #2 contenders. However, Haye’s May 21st date is now messed up because British promoter Frank Warren has that date with Sky Sports, meaning that Haye can’t do a pay-per-view fight on Sky if he fights on that date because Warren will already have it. There’s no way Haye will fight if his bout isn’t PPV. This leaves the strong possibility that Haye already knew that there is a good chance of him fighting Wladimir on July 2nd, because otherwise he would have been fighting on May 21st.
Haye wants to fight at least one of the Klitschkos before retiring in October, and Wladimir has been the one that Haye has been eager to fight for the past three years. Haye doesn’t Vitali Klitschko, at least not until he’s fought and beaten Wladimir. You can bet that if Haye destroys Wladimir, he’ll have no qualms about taking a huge money fight with Vitali before retiring from the ring. A fight between Vitali and Haye will be huge if Haye beats Wladimir first. It will setup a revenge angle for the Klitschkos and it will be one of the biggest heavyweight fights in many years.
More Boxing News:
- Wladimir Klitschko coming back? promoter Tom Loeffler wants him to
- Oleksandr Usyk vs. Dereck Chisora targeted for October
- David Haye Not happy with Joe Joyce’s performance against Michael Wallisch
- BT Sport new boxing series: What Went Down
- Mike Tyson, Andre Ward, Anthony Joshua & more Showtime Classics in June
- Canelo vs. Yildirim purse bid rescheduled for October 6
- Hearn says Whyte’s career will be “terminal” if he loses to Povetkin on Nov.21
- Erickson Lubin ready for Jermell Charlo rematch
- Devin Haney and Yuriorkis Gamboa reach an agreement for Nov.7 fight on DAZN
- Fury advises Joshua to vacate WBO belt to duck Oleksandr Usyk