Should Championship Fights go back to 15 rounds to prove the real Champions?
By Allen Hmiel: Ever since Ray Mancini beat a brave Korean Duk Koo Kim to a sad death in 1982 the Boxing organizations started the process to go from 15 rounds to 12 rounds. By 1988 all Championship fights were 12 rounders. Did Championship Boxing Organizations make the correct decision? Or should all the Championship fights be 15 rounds to really determine the courage, the stamina and the hearts of a true champion? Is Boxing creating paper champions by eliminating the championship rounds 13-14 and 15. Wouldn’t a brave Maidana knocked out a weltering wobbly weak legged Amir Khan in these later rounds and rightfully captured the title belt and championship?
Aren’t the true champions those who can get stronger as the fight wears on in the championship rounds and draw on courage and willpower and heart to outlast their faltering opponents? Would Mosley have found the courage to pullout a stunning victory of Mayweather in rounds 13-14 or 15? Would Arthur Abraham rallied and possibly stopped Froch with a stunning late round punch? Greatness is being diluted by 12 round Championship fights especially when so many fighters seem to be coming on strong after 9 rounds.
Can’t Boxing make real champions and lengthen all Title fights to 15 rounds? Maidana would be the champion maybe? Would Chad Dawson kept his belt with a comeback in the extra late rounds. True champions prove their courage and stamina by digging deep and drawing on their courage and pride, shouldn’t Boxing try and make sure it is really determining who the real champions are? Ask Maidana or Dawson? It’s nine more minutes drawing deep down within a fighter on conviction heart and courage-That could change who really is the Champion!!
More Boxing News:
- Amir Khan says Terence Crawford can beat Floyd Mayweather
- Amir Khan says Kell Brook doesn’t want to fight him
- Errol Spence Jr vs. Danny Garcia is 50-50 fight says Amir Khan
- Amir Khan calling out Oscar De La Hoya
- Amir Khan targeting Keith Thurman, Manny Pacquiao & Danny Garcia
- Devin Haney and Yuriorkis Gamboa reach an agreement for Nov.7 fight on DAZN
- Fury advises Joshua to vacate WBO belt to duck Oleksandr Usyk
- Jose Pedraza dominates Javier Molina in one-sided 10-round decision win
- Boxing Results: Erickson Lubin decisions Terrell Gausha; Jaron Ennis KOs Abreu
- Daniel Jacobs could face Gabe Rosado or John Ryder in the fall