Khan’s ability to take shots doesn’t look improved
By William Mackay: I don’t want to rain on anybody’s parade but Amir Khan’s ability to take big shots doesn’t look like it’s improved any judging by how he was doing the shaky-leg after getting tagged by Marcos Maidana in the 10th round last weekend.
Getting staggered shows me that Khan’s chin hasn’t improved one bit since he was blown out by Breidis Prescott two years ago in 2008. The real difference between the Khan that was blown out by Prescott and the current version is that Khan now moves much more than he did back then.
Against Maidana, Khan pretty much ran all night long because he seemed unwilling to test his chin by standing in front of Maidana. All the running from Khan kept him from getting knocked out, because when he finally did stop in the 10th, we saw what happened to him.
I’m sure Khan’s loving and adoring fans will take a Khan win any way they can get it. However, Khan won’t go far with his glass jaw. That’s just the way things will be for him. You have to have a chin to succeed in the sport, and Khan won’t be able to run and hold his way to victory every time.
When you’re game is built around being able to run for 12 rounds to prevent from getting tagged on your glass chin, eventually you’re going to get tired and need to rest.
That’s why I see Khan beginning to suffer knockout after knockout in the near future once he starts getting put in with fighters that are a threat to him.
It looks like Khan is going to be matched softly for awhile to keep him from getting hurt. I don’t think matching Khan against weak opposition will save him from getting knocked out, because his chin is so bad he’ll still be in danger of being knocked out.
More Boxing News:
- Amir Khan says Terence Crawford can beat Floyd Mayweather
- Amir Khan says Kell Brook doesn’t want to fight him
- Errol Spence Jr vs. Danny Garcia is 50-50 fight says Amir Khan
- Amir Khan calling out Oscar De La Hoya
- Amir Khan targeting Keith Thurman, Manny Pacquiao & Danny Garcia
- Devin Haney and Yuriorkis Gamboa reach an agreement for Nov.7 fight on DAZN
- Fury advises Joshua to vacate WBO belt to duck Oleksandr Usyk
- Jose Pedraza dominates Javier Molina in one-sided 10-round decision win
- Boxing Results: Erickson Lubin decisions Terrell Gausha; Jaron Ennis KOs Abreu
- Daniel Jacobs could face Gabe Rosado or John Ryder in the fall