Khan-Maidana winner could face Ortiz, Peterson, Bradley, Alexander or Judah next
By Jim Dower: It was commonly believed that this Saturday’s winner between Amir Khan and Marcos Maidana would wind up facing the winner of next months’ bout between Devon Alexander and Timothy Bradley on January 28th. However, that may not be the case. Richard Schaefer, the CEO of Golden Boy Promotions, said that Khan or Maidana could be facing the winner of the Lamont Peterson vs. Victor Ortiz bout this weekend or Alexander-Bradley winner or even possibly Zab Judah.
Schaefer isn’t going to limit the options for the Khan vs. Maidana winner, and that’s obviously a smart thing for him to do. It may be that Ortiz comes out of this weekends fights looking sensational and a better option for Khan or Maidana than Alexander or Bradley. Ortiz has better hand speed and power compared to Bradley and Alexander, and he’s got a large following in the west coast of the United States.
This is what Schaefer said today: “They made it clear to me each one made it clear that’s who they want to be in the ring with. Whether it’s going to be the winner of Bradley and Alexander, it might, but it might not because there are many other good names. There is Lamont Peterson against Victor Ortiz. He could be a potential opponent. There is Zab Judah who just won the, although in a bit controversial fashion against Lucas Matthyse. So, there’s Zab Judah there as well.”
I like the idea of the Khan-Maidana winner taking on Judah, Ortiz or Peterson. Those are all excellent fights and about as interesting as a fight against the Alexander-Bradley winner.
More Boxing News:
- Amir Khan says Terence Crawford can beat Floyd Mayweather
- Amir Khan says Kell Brook doesn’t want to fight him
- Errol Spence Jr vs. Danny Garcia is 50-50 fight says Amir Khan
- Amir Khan calling out Oscar De La Hoya
- Amir Khan targeting Keith Thurman, Manny Pacquiao & Danny Garcia
- Hearn talks Jermall Charlo vs. Demetrius Andrade
- Jaime Munguia ready to fight Gennady Golovkin in 2021
- Teofimo wants Ryan Garcia, Tank, and Haney to prove themselves worthy to face him
- Tyson Fury’s shortlist: Kabayel and Takam for Dec.5 in London
- Teofimo Lopez not interested in Vasily Lomachenko rematch