Roach wants Pacquiao to spar with Khan, Quillin and Martirosyan in Los Angeles
By Eric Thomas: In an effort to ramp up Manny Pacquiao’s training camp, trainer Freddie Roach is about to put Pacquiao through the hardest part of the camp when they move their training camp from the Philippines to Roach’s Wild Card Gym, in Los Angeles, California. Roach will then put Pacquiao through 30 rounds of sparring against Vanes Martirosyan, Peter Quillin and Amir Khan, according to Gmannews.tv. Roach says “It would be a big week for sparring. This week and next week…I have more sparring there [Los Angeles], better sparring. No, not better, but more of the style I’ve been looking for.”
Currently, Pacquiao has been sparring with Michael Medina and Glen Tapia, two decent fighters but probably neither of them are on the same level as Martirosyan or Quillin. Those guys are big and can punch a little. However, Antonio Margarito is a step up from both of those guys, so the sparring will be helpful but it won’t be quite as good as what Pacquiao will be facing on November 13th. Quillin and Martirosyan are nothing like Margarito. Quillin is more of a short combination power puncher, who has good hand speed.
And Martirosyan is a hit and run puncher, who is more of a boxer than a slugger. His style of fighting is nothing like Margarito. Maybe Roach can have Martirosyan mimic Margarito, but I doubt he’ll do a very job of getting Margarito’s style down. Martirosyan will likely have a hard time fighting the opposite of his own style of fighting and I can’t see him doing an about face and getting away from his hit and run fighting style. Pacquiao needs to work his hand speed more than sparring against those guys. He’s been looking slow as of late and sparring won’t fix the problem. Pacquiao needs to trim off some weight so that he’ll be able to handle Margarito’s high punch volume attacks every rounds.
More Boxing News:
- Conor McGregor looking desparate, still wants Pacquiao fight
- Arum approached by Kell Brook for Terence Crawford fight
- Errol Spence threatens to Go “Rogue” if Manny Pacquiao faces Mikey Garcia
- Manny Pacquiao adviser hints Mikey Garcia next for him
- Floyd Mayweather: Pacquiao fights because he has to, I fight because I want to
- Errol Spence has “screenshotted” his doubters, he’ll gloat after Nov.21
- Jermall Charlo gives Sergiy Derevyanchenko a warning: “What round is it going to be?”
- The Trio Vying For British Glory: Chad Sugden on Facing Shakan Pitters and Craig Richards
- Broner: Tank Davis will fight Ryan Garcia after Leo Santa Cruz
- Devin Haney will clear out 135 & 140-lb divisions says Mickey Bey