Khan to join Pacquiao in training camp in the Philippines
By William Mackay: World Boxing Association (WBA) light welterweight champion Amir Khan (23-1, 17 KO’s) is reportedly going to be flying over to the Philippines to train with Manny Pacquiao and their mutual trainer Freddie Roach so that Khan can help Pacquiao get ready for his November 13th fight against Antonio Margarito, while at the same time get ready himself for his December 11th bout against knockout artist Marcos Maidana (29-1, 27 KO’s) at the Mandalay Bay Resort & Casino, in Las Vegas, Nevada.
In an article at Livefight.com, Khan says “As for fighting Pacquiao in the future, I can’t really see that happening. I’m sure by the time I get to that level he will be calling it a day. We train in the same camp and I’ve got too much respect for Manny to fight him.”
Pacquiao’s fighting style isn’t all that similar to Maidana, so it’s difficult to imagine what Khan will get from sparring with Pacquiao. And Khan doesn’t have a fighting style similar to Margarito, so Pacquiao won’t see the same kind of fighter in the ring with him on November 13th.
There’s a good chance that it won’t even be debatable whether Khan should face Pacquiao or not if Khan gets knocked out by Maidana like a lot of boxing fans think Khan will. It’s interesting to see how boxing fans are kicking around the idea of Khan fighting Pacquiao and Floyd Mayweather, when Khan is still totally unproven against top tier opposition. The best fighters that Khan has faced are older guys like Marco Antonio Barrera and Paulie Malignaggi, or ones without much power like Andriy Kotelnik.
Khan was knocked out by the only opponent that he’s been with any kind of power when Khan was knocked out in the 1st round two years ago by Breidis Prescott. Still, that’s not stopping Khan’s promoter Richard Schaefer of Golden Boy Promotions of considering putting Khan in with Mayweather if Khan can beat Maidana in December and then beat the winner of the Timothy Bradley vs. Devon Alexander bout in 2011.
More Boxing News:
- Pacquiao inks new deal with Paradigm Sports, is Conor McGregor next up?
- Manny Pacquiao interested in Conor McGregor fight
- Mikey Garcia says he’s fighting Manny Pacquiao next 100%, not Conor McGregor
- Pacquiao has started training after Conor McGregor Tweet
- Freddie Roach tells Conor Mcgregor, Pacquiao beats you easier than Hatton
- Let’s be honest about Vasily Lomachenko
- Lomachenko has undergone shoulder surgery following loss to Teofimo Lopez
- Lomachenko vs. Lopez peaked at around 3 million viewers on ESPN
- Dave Allen needs new opponent, Christian Hammer tests for COVID 19
- Teofimo Lopez – Bob Arum lists options for his next fight in 2021