What will Pacquiao do if Cotto beats him?
By Liam Santiago: On November 14th Manny Pacquiao will face the biggest test of his life. He will step up to face the huge punching warrior, Miguel Cotto. The Pacquiao camp seem to be looking past Cotto already. Already they are eyeing up a date to fight Floyd Mayweather. Do they believe Cotto poses no threat? The Puerto Rican star will not be weight drained and he certainly won’t have the disadvantage of having Mayweather Snr in his corner.
However, lets just imagine the Pacquiao steam train gets de-railed on November 14th and Miguel Cotto wins, maybe by knock out, what does Pacquiao do then? Would he still chase a fight with Mayweather? Surely, Mayweather would want to face Cotto. If Pacquiao loses he will no longer be the big money draw. Who will want to watch him fight? Boxing fans may learn that Pacquiao has been slightly over rated.
If worst comes to worst for the Filipino man in Vegas, there is always the possibility of a Hatton rematch. Every boxing fan world wide understands that that was not the Ricky Hatton we all know that got knocked out by Pacquiao. Hatton peaked three weeks prior to that fight and his trainer, Floyd Mayweather Snr, destroyed his mental focus before the fight. Anyone who knows the slightest thing about boxing will understand that, come fight night, 90% of your preparation must be mental. Only 10% of what you have done inn training counts. Yes, you must be totally physically prepared, but, on fight night it is all down to metal focus, and Hatton did not have that.
So, how would a Hatton rematch end up? Would Hatton end up knocking Pacquiao out like two other unheard of fighters have already done? Or would Pacquiao do what he has already done to the Hitman? Who knows? Another possible opponent is Juan Manuel Marquez, who many believe has beaten Pacquiao twice, although the judges gave it to pacquiao. Among the list of names is Amir Khan.
Khan was offered to fight Pacquiao before the Cotto deal was signed but the Bolton man turned it down. I can not see Khan beating Pacquiao as he can not take a punch. Pacquiao is not a big puncher but you do not need to be to knock Khan out. I believe the best road for Pacquiao to take if Cotto can beat him is a Hatton rematch. Then, maybe at last Pacquiao can cement his legacy, without leaving behind so many questions.
More Boxing News:
- Pacquiao inks new deal with Paradigm Sports, is Conor McGregor next up?
- Manny Pacquiao interested in Conor McGregor fight
- Mikey Garcia says he’s fighting Manny Pacquiao next 100%, not Conor McGregor
- Pacquiao has started training after Conor McGregor Tweet
- Freddie Roach tells Conor Mcgregor, Pacquiao beats you easier than Hatton
- Let’s be honest about Vasily Lomachenko
- Lomachenko has undergone shoulder surgery following loss to Teofimo Lopez
- Lomachenko vs. Lopez peaked at around 3 million viewers on ESPN
- Dave Allen needs new opponent, Christian Hammer tests for COVID 19
- Teofimo Lopez – Bob Arum lists options for his next fight in 2021