Next five possible opponents for Pacquiao
By Liam Santiago: Assuming that Manny Pacquiao can defeat Miguel Cotto on November 14th, here is a list of five possible next opponents for the Filipino. Of course, assuming that he gets through Cotto is a very big assumption. Cotto has every asset to beat Pacquiao and it will be a huge test for him. But here are five big names that would enhance Pac-Man’s legacy.
1. Floyd Mayweather. Of course, this has to be number one. It is the bout that every boxing fans want to see yet it is also the bout that fans will probably never see ; purely because of money. Mayweather is looked upon as unbeatable. For Pacquiao to defeat Mayweather would enhance his legacy to a great extent.
Again, actually doing the business over Mayweather takes a lot of doing. However, as much as we want to see this fight, it will not happen. Neither man will take a lesser portion of the money ; each thinking they are more deserving.
2. Shane Mosley. Sugar Shane is the man most boxing fans wanted Pacquiao to fight instead of Cotto. He is currently ranked as the best welterweight in the world so boxing fans could not see why Pacquiao chose to fight Cotto. Will Pacquiao want to eliminate that idea that he ducked Mosley? Like Cotto, Mosley would have a massive size advantage, but would be likely to be very drained in energy in order to meet the catch weight.
3. Juan Manuel Marquez. The two bouts between the pair in the past have been very controversial. Many boxing experts say that Marquez won both. That’s boxing for you. Can Pacquiao retire without finishing of business with Marquez.
If Marquez beats Mayweather and Pacquiao defeats Cotto, expect to see this fight happen very soon. The simple reason this would enhance Pac-Man’s legacy ; it would eliminate any idea that he is a better fighter than Marquez.
4. Edwin Valero. Everyone loves to see the top fighters fight an unbeaten, young star. Remember Calzaghe vs Kessler? Hatton vs Mayweather? This clash of styles would make for an amazing fight. Both men having amazing power and both liking to use it.
5. Kelly Pavlik. This is not meant as a joke. If the two met at a catch weight, what a fight it would be. If Pacquiao could pull of a victory of the Youngstown man, can you imagine the respect he would gain worldwide? Even if he failed, he would still get the credit for giving it a go. The idea seems crazy at first ; an ex featherweight fighting a middleweight.
But Pavlik is not the slickest of boxers and he has not get the best footwork. If Pacquiao could dance around him, he has a good chance. Pavlik could easily take Pacquiao out with one booming straight right hand, but that’s what every boxing expert said Hatton and De La Hoya would do.
If Pacquiao did this and won he would go down as one of the greatest fighter’s to ever live. That is why it would be a good move to enhance his legacy.