Boxing News - Latest Headlines


Elcock-Macklin, Gamboa-Gonzalez, Lara-Aguiar – Boxing News

Wayne Elcock and Matthew Macklin will square off in the ‘Battle of Brum’ in the biggest Birmingham boxing derby in living memory at the Aston Arena on Saturday, 14th March. The fight Birmingham has been waiting for will become reality when Elcock makes the second defence of his British Middleweight Title against Mandatory Challenger Macklin, who has won his last six fights since he was stopped by Jamie Moore for the British Light-Middleweight Title in 2006..


The grudge match will be shown live on ITV4 in front of what is expected to be a sell-out crowd at the Hennessy Sports show and former world title challenger Elcock cannot wait to get it on with his Birmingham rival Macklin.

“There hasn’t been a fight like this in Birmingham between two top rated Brummies for as far back as I can remember,” said champion Elcock.


“My phone is off the hook at the moment because there’s so much interest in it. It’s going to be a cracking atmosphere on the night and a cracking fight.

“I will win the fight and have been looking for this opportunity for years, since we turned pro. Matt has been doing all the talking, but there’s no need to hype this one because it is just a massive fight without any hype.

“I rate Matt as a decent fighter and this is what Birmingham and British boxing needs – two top fighters squaring off against each other.

“He said he’s going to knock me out but he was saying that sort of thing before he fought Jamie Moore and look what happened then.”

Elcock had to pull out of scheduled defence last month against Jason McKay because of a leg injury, but he has fully recovered from the fractured fibia.

“My leg is fine and I’m back in the gym full-time now. The December 6th fight was just a bit too soon for me and I needed a longer break for the injury.”

“The venue holds just over 2,000 people and I expect a quick sell out for this one as I can’t remember a bigger Birmingham boxing derby. There will also be a massive audience on TV for this one. There’s a bit of needle between them both and it’s boiling up to be a great fight.” said promoter Mick Hennessy.

“I am pleased for Wayne as this is a fight he has wanted for a while; I know this fight has highly motivated him”

Tickets will be on sale from Monday 12th January from the Ticketline box office on 0871 424 4444 or via www.ticketline.co.uk

DAWS NOT BOTHERED BY LATE SWITCH

Lenny Daws will challenge Dean Harrison for the vacant English Light-Welterweight Title confident that a late change in opponent will not throw him off course in his ambition to become British champion again in 2009.

The Morden boxer was supposed to box Scott Haywood (Derby), but he has relinquished the title so Daws will now face Harrison (Wolverhampton) for the English crown instead at the Robin Park Centre in Wigan on Saturday, 17th January 2009.

British lightweight champion John Murray (Manchester) defends his title for the first time against Lee McAllister (Aberdeen) as the main even on the Hennessy Sports show that will be shown live on ITV4.

Daws aims to impress the ITV4 audience and sees winning the English title as a step towards reclaiming the British title he lost two years ago by beating Harrison, who was narrowly out-pointed by Haywood for the English title in September.

“The change of opponent has not made much difference and we’ve got everything covered,” said Lenny.

“I was expecting to box a taller opponent but that’s about it. Dean is no journeyman and he has fought for this title before, so he’s going to be up for it and I’m expecting a tough fight.

“But I also believe I’m going to win and put on a good performance. Hopefully winning this title will start to make things happen for me in 2009 because I want to win back the British title.

“Winning this title should lead to the British title shot. I want to move on to bigger things this year but I have to prove I’m ready for that by beating Harrison.”

Tickets are available from the Ticketline Box Office on 0871 424 4444 or via www.ticketline.co.uk

NO SUSPENSION-CAMACHO JR FIGHTS-JANUARY 17TH

New York-Friday, January 9, 2009- Contrary to recent published reports of a fight suspension against Puerto Rican Middleweight sensation Hector Camacho, Jr., 47-3, 27KO?s, Camacho is set to face off against Columbia TN, Sammy “Silk” Sparkman 20-17, 9KO?s, in a 10 round middleweight clash, Saturday January 17th at the famed Rock Arena, 5515 US 192 (near old town), in Kissimmee, Florida, promoted by Sal Musumeci?s Final Forum Boxing.

Camacho, Jr., was recently embroiled in a controversial situation where it was alleged he backed out of a scheduled match up against Yory Boy Campos, in Tijuana. Mexico, after allegedly signing the fight agreement.

Camacho?s camp vehemently denies any underhanded involvement and contends that he did not agree to or sign any legal binding papers agreeing to the match up. Also a point of strong contention is the signature on the fight documents is not that of Hector Camacho, Jr, but is in fact a forgery.

Lawyers representing Camacho have been in contact with the fight promoters asking for copies of the documents in question in an attempt to resolve this situation and clear Camacho?s name, they have yet to hear back from them. Camacho is looking forward to putting this to rest and get back to fighting his way into title contention.

“It?s a pity that a fighter with the undeniable talent that Hector Camacho, Jr., possesses, is marred by a situation he had nothing to do with, I as well as the fight fans look forward to witnessing the resurrection of a great fighter, starting with his fight on January 17th, he has been the consummate professional during this promotion; it has been my immense pleasure to work with him”- Sal Musumeci-Final Forum Boxing.

Undercard to be announced soon.

Weigh-In: Gamboa 126, Gonzalez 127½

“El Ciclon” Yuriorkis Gamboa will go into his fight tomorrow (Friday, January 9th) against Roger “Speedy” Gonzalez with 126 lbs. At today’s weigh-in at Terrible’s Primm Valley Casino Resorts Gonzalez showed up a little too heavy for their 10 round featherweight clash bringing 127.5 lbs.

Heavyweight sensation Odlanier Solis will give his US debut with 246 lbs. defending his WBC international champion title against “Big Man” Kevin Burnett (253 lbs.),

2005 world amateur champion Erislandy Lara brought 154 lbs. to the scale while his opponent Rodrigo Aguiar weighed in at 157 lbs.

The show will be broadcasted on ESPN2 as “Friday Night Fights” season premiere. There will be seven fights in total. Doors open at 5.00pm. Some tickets are still available for US$ 35.00 and US$ 10.00 (plus fees); call 1-800-FUN-STOP or visit www.primmvalleyresorts.com.
Recession Proof boxing: World renowned Banner Promotions and promoter Art Pelullo join forces with Tommy Egan Promotions on historic Irish boxing venture

Boxing promoter Tommy Egan believes he has agreed a deal that will solve a huge Irish boxing problem, thus revolutionising the sport in this country.

For decades many fighters from The Emerald Isle have been faced with a dilemma when entering the paid ranks. They ponder whether or not to sign professional terms in the USA, in turn uprooting and taking all the boxing opportunities America can offer at the expense of massive exposure back home.

An abundance of Ireland’s finest pugilists have forged successful careers in America, training away from home, and fighting successfully in front of packed stadiums and millions of American TV viewers unbeknownst to the general Irish public.

The likes of Sean Mannion, Steve Collins, Wayne McCullough, James Moore, John Duddy, Andy Lee, Henry Coyle and Bernard Dunne were all well known in America before returning as stars to their home country. Indeed, none of their battles across the Atlantic were available for viewing for Irish fight fan, leaving the internet and print as the only ways to keep track of their progress.

Egan, however, reveals he that he has signed a deal that will change the game in Ireland forever, allowing young Irish talent progress their careers in America under the watchful eye of the Irish public, whilst training and living in Ireland.

The Irish promoter has joined forces with Artie Pelullo and Banner Promotions, signing a unique deal that will enable him to negotiate with Irish television networks on behalf of the
American-based boxing promotion company for shows with Irish fighters on the card.

Egan also states he has authorisation to sign boxers to Banner Promotions under his management and believes the deal will change the whole landscape of Irish boxing.

“I really think this is the future of Irish boxing,” Egan enthused. “I think we can offer the best opportunity available to Irish fighters and give them a chance to fight in the big league.
“Young Irish fighters had previously begun careers in the USA and no one really knew of them back home. They were packing out stadiums but were not too well known here, and even if they were in the public eye you couldn’t see their fights. This deal can solve that dilemma they can have a career in the USA but can live and train in Ireland.

“They can also still have their fights aired in Ireland and keep up a profile back home. If they fulfill their potential and perform well they will get world title shots.

“Banner Promotions are well respected, as is Art Pelullo: he is amongst the top three promoters in the World. These fights will also be broadcast across America so they get exposure both sides of the Atlantic. Every fight night will have top-class bouts with either contenders or world title fighters topping the bill, but will also have Irish fighters on the undercard.

“They will be quality fights, the American networks don’t settle for anything less, so in that regard it’s good for the Irish boxing fans too,” he added.

The first to benefit from this new deal will be Mayo’s Michael Sweeney. The hard-hitting light-heavyweight will fight on Valentine’s Day in, fittingly enough, Paris, ‘The City of Love’, on the undercard of the Cristobal Cruz-Cyrill Thomas IBF world title fight. That exciting fight night will be aired on France’s Canal+, as well as across America, and, if all goes to plan, will be aired on Irish television, too.

Egan believes the undefeated Sweeney, who has been compared to Steve Collins, has the potential to go all the way and could get a world title fight within two years. He also states he will be the first of many to benefit from the “unique” deal.
Sweeney’s career will be American-based but he will train in Belfast under the guidance of world-class trainer John Breen and Eamon McGee, both of whom have proven track records in the boxing game.

Breen has helped Martin Rogan and Paul McCloskey achieve sensational recent success, while McGee was a former WBU welterweight title holder and was the first man ever to introduce Ricky Hatton to the canvas during a world title fight in front of a 20,000 MEN Arena Manchester crowd on June 1, 2002.

”Michael has already signed with Art and the Banner Promotions,” Egan revealed. “They are really impressed with him and will believe he is Ireland’s next boxing superstar.

“He is working with top-class trainers in John Breen and Eamon McGee and he is a very exciting prospect. He will probably fight once a month for a while to improve his record and he could get a title shot within a couple of years.

“It’s a great opportunity for a fighter that couldn’t really get fights here and one that many others will eventually avail of. I think this is the future of Irish boxing and could revolutionise the sport here,” he argued, before claiming this unique deal will help young talent struggling to burst onto what he believes is a stagnant Irish scene.

“The recession might prevent some people taking Irish boxing live, which is unfortunate, but this provides a great alternative.

“Also it will help young good Irish fighters progress. At present some have to promise to sell a certain amount of tickets to get onto a show. Hence some are struggling to get fights and those that do are stressing over selling tickets coming up to the bouts which is never too good. There will be no ticket worries for my fighters, they will do what they what they are paid to do – fight,” he concluded.

For more information don’t hesitate to contact Tommy Egan on (00353) 0868148296-or email tommyegan@eircom.net.

Comments are closed.

Subscribe (Free!)
Search

The views expressed in all articles are those of the authors and do not necessarily reflect those of BoxingNews24 or its affiliates.

Facebook Button Twitter Button Twitter Button

Privacy Statement l  Back to top of page l Cookies Policy l Boxing Resources l Contact Us