Boxing News - Latest Headlines


Cunningham, Gomez, Haye, Klitschko & George – Boxing News

British heavyweight boxer David Haye will fight WBC champion Vitali Klitschko in London in June 2009, having agreed terms with the Ukrainian. The deal was struck on Saturday night following Wladimir Klitschko’s victory over Hasim Rahman in Mannheim in Germany.


Vitali’s manager Bernd Boente told Setanta Sports News that the main issues had been agreed and that both parties were working through the finer details. He said:

“We met with Adam Booth (his manager) and David Haye. We’ve verbally agreed to do a fight between Vitali Klitschko, the heavyweight champion and David Haye.


“The main issues have been discussed and we all agreed. I don’t see any further problems.

“Vitali was very impressed [by Haye’s performance against Monte Barrett]. He knows that David is a very, very tough opponent. He has to be well prepared.”

Just last week Haye hinted that he would take on Vitali’s brother Wladimir, claiming that the younger Klitschko had the less hectic schedule. However Boente added that Wladimir had a number of names waiting for a title shot. He said:

“Wladimir has other opportunities. He’s maybe going to go to the USA and fight Chris Arreola, who is big out there. His next opponent is not 100% confirmed yet. It could be also be [Nikolai] Valuev or [Aleksandr] Povetkin.

Gomez to Haye: “Go for the younger brother – Vitali is mine!”

At the boring world heavyweight championship bout between Wladimir Klitschko and Hasim Rahman the only man who brought some excitement to the show was former undisputed world cruiserweight champion David Haye who showed up in Mannheim, Germany, to call out both Klitschko brothers.

Now Haye claims that he came to an agreement with Vitali regarding a bout in June 2009. But before that the older Klitschko bro has to defend his WBC championship against no. 1 contender Juan Carlos Gomez. Now the “Black Panther” addresses Haye: “I understand how this kid feels and what he thinks. In fact we have a lot in common. We both used to be the best cruiserweights in the world, now we both want to become world heavyweight champions and get rid of those annoying Ukrainians. But, David, I got one advice for you: Keep your hands off Vitali. He’s mine. You can go after Wladimir if you want. He will be easier to handle for you anyways. If you desperately want to fight Vitali you will have to wait until I stripped his belt from him. After we dethroned both Klitschko sisters we can go on and find out one on one who is the best heavyweight fighter in the world if you want. It will be my honour and pleasure to beat you up to become undisputed heavyweight champion of the world.”

News:
Joshua vs Ruiz II undercard: Filip Hrgovic ready for Eric Molina

Shaun George to Calzaghe: Boxing is Not Dying!

NEW YORK-Ring Magazine light-heavyweight champion Joe Calzaghe recently issued a statement in which he called boxing “a dying sport.” Light-heavyweight contender Shaun George took offense to those words, criticizing the undefeated Welshman for being part of the problem.

“All he is doing is fighting the older guys,” says Shaun George, 17-2-2 (8 KO), a native of Brooklyn, NY. “He’s not letting the younger fighters in the division come up. The way boxing creates new stars is by having the younger guys pick up where the older guys leave off. By fighting people in their 40’s like Roy Jones and Bernard Hopkins, Calzaghe is feeding into the problem.

News:
Joshua vs Ruiz II undercard: Filip Hrgovic ready for Eric Molina

“Boxing is not dying, but what hurts the sport is when the top stars don’t want to fight the rising contenders in their divisions. Why not fight a young guy like me or Chad Dawson? He won’t because he just wants to cash in.

“The light-heavyweight division is loaded with talent. You have Adrian Diaconu and Zsolt Erdei, both are undefeated champs. There are also exciting newcomers like Tavoris Cloud, Chris Henry and Yusaf Mack. I would not hesitate to fight any of those guys. In fact, HBO should do a ‘Night of the Young Light-Heavyweights’ tournament to showcase how hot this division is.”

The 29-year-old George is rated #7 by the WBC, #10 by the IBF and #12 by the WBA. He is currently recovering from a hand injury sustained in training camp which has temporarily sidelined him. George wants to pick up in 2009 where he left off after his star-making knockout of two-time heavyweight champion and future Hall-of-Famer Chris Byrd earlier this year.

“I’ve never ducked anyone. I’ve fought in other countries, in my opponent’s hometowns, I’ve never been afraid of a challenge. If HBO or Showtime is willing to have us, I’m ready and willing to fight anyone in the division. I don’t care if you’re southpaw, orthodox, tall, short, undefeated, my contract is already signed. Call my promoter Lou Dibella and let’s get it on.”

Anyone interested in fighting Shaun George, call Dibella Entertainment at (212) 947-2577.

USS Cunningham Sails On, Battle Scarred, Not Sunk As Reported!

Recently deposed IBF cruiserweight world champion, Steve ‘USS’ Cunningham, speaks out for the first time since the epic battle at the Prudential Center in Newark, New Jersey on December 11th, which saw Tomasz ‘Goral’ Adamek from Jersey City, NJ. capture his crown by a contentious split decision.

Steve, who has been receiving the highest accolades from luminaries in the sport and media for his performance during the action packed bout, which is being hailed by all sectors of the media as ‘The Fight Of The Year’, spoke shortly after his return to his home town of Philadelphia after taking a well deserved short break.

“Firstly, I want to congratulate Adamek on his Victory.

It was a tough fight, one that we were easily winning without the flash knockdowns. We feel that the work that was put in was enough to win the fight, but understand that the judges saw differently.

I could be disappointed in the outcome of the fight, but these things happen in boxing. I put my trust in the Lord Jesus Christ, and I believe that everything happens for a reason. I am proud of my performance, I
think the fans saw a different side of me that they have not seen before. Despite being put down three times in the fight, I fought with everything I had in me; I was not going to quit or give Adamek an easy night. As a
matter of fact, I won the fight but lost the decision and that’s not just my view, I’ve read most of the fight reports, I see that a lot of guys who know what they are talking about also think I had done enough to win or at least get a draw. I want the fans to know that I will be Champion again, I want the rematch as soon as Adamek would be willing to get back in the ring.”

As the fight was a mandatory defense there is no automatic rematch option in the contract. Tomasz Adamek and his team have made it clear that the only way they would consider a rematch if there was “big money and serious television on the table”, something that Steve understands and accepts as Adamek is now the champion and it is his prerogative. However, Steve feels that the he deserves the opportunity to win back his title and the fans deserve the opportunity to see him and Adamek in gladiatorial battle again. If you think the same call or write to HBO and Showtime and tell them.

For news on Steve ‘USS’ Cunningham – www.usscunningham.com

Sutherland Dazzles In Sparring Dublin Debut

Irish Olympic hero Darren Sutherland held a media workout in London and produced a startling display of skills in sparring with rugged undefeated light heavyweight Carl Dilks in round after round of furious action.

Sutherland showed fine form against his quality sparring partner and is on target to produce a superb professional debut, which takes place on a big Frank Maloney Promotions bill in Dublin, Ireland on Thursday, December 18.

At Beijing, the 26 year old won the 2008 Olympic Bronze Medallist at middleweight by stopping Algeria’s Nabil Kassel and outpointing Venezuela’s Alfonso Blanco before losing to Gold Medal winner James DeGale of Britain, a fighter Sutherland had previously defeated four times.

Now campaigning as a super middleweight, Sutherland makes his maiden voyage as a pro against Bulgaria’s Georgi Iliev over six rounds at The Helix, located at the Irishman’s alma mater, Dublin City University.

Sutherland will share top of the bill with European super bantamweight champion Rendall Munroe, who defends his continental strap against Italian titlist Fabricio Trotta.

Frank Maloney Promotions presents “Out To Conquer The World” headlined by the debut of Irish Olympic Bronze Medallist Darren Sutherland and European Super Bantamweight Champion Rendall Munroe’s title defense against Italian Champion Fabricio Trotta along with full undercard support, on Thursday, December 18, 2008 at The Helix in Dublin, Ireland.

Tickets, priced at €50, €60 and €100, are available by logging onto www.frankmaloney.com or by calling the Box Office on 0871 226 1508.

Sky Sports will televise the action live on SS1 starting at 8PM.

For further information or press credential requests contact ftm.press@gmail.com.

Comments are closed.

Subscribe (Free!)
Search

The views expressed in all articles are those of the authors and do not necessarily reflect those of BoxingNews24 or its affiliates.

Facebook Button Twitter Button Twitter Button

Privacy Statement l  Back to top of page l Cookies Policy l Boxing Resources l Contact Us