Is Hopkins The Best Option For Calzaghe? Why Not Roy Jones Jr?
Now that WBO super middleweight champion Joe Calzaghe (44-0, 32 KOs) has defeated Mikkel Kessler in the WBC/WBA unification match, most of the latest boxing news has indicated that Calzaghe will be choosing the grizzled veteran Bernard Hopkins as his next opponent rather than a younger more crowd pleasing opponent such as Kelly Pavlik. Unfortunately, Pavlik is tied up with a rematch with Jermain Taylor, so he’s out of the equation temporarily. However, the 38-year old Roy Jones Jr. should be freed up in the next 4-5 months, and would make the perfect opponent for Calzaghe to shine against.
Though, this all would hinge upone Jones defeating Felix Trinidad in their upcoming bout, but that’s not going to be much of a problem for Jones, because he’s looked good in his last couple of fights. Don’t get me wrong, Hopkins is a fine opponent, certainly a fighter that would rank as an all time great, yet he’s always been terrible to watch because of his mauling style of fighting. I don’t care for all kind of stuff, especially the headbutting and elbows that he sometimes throws. Now, Roy, he’s always been interesting to fight, and I think most fans would agree with me on that. He’s still has blinding hand-speed and foot movement like a dancer. He’s also a young 38, looking more like 28 than forty.
Of all the fighters out there, he’s got the boxing skills and handspeed with which to beat Calzaghe. I can’t say the same for Hopkins, who would likely get horribly embarrassed by Calzaghe and made to look like an old man. Of all the fighters that Calzaghe could be matched up with at this point, Jones will bring in the biggest crowds and the most money for Calzaghe. Of course, Pavlik would be a much more interesting fight, but given his prior commitments with Taylor, that leaves very few options other than Jones or Hopkins. For me, I’ll pick Jones any day of the week over any version Hopkins.
More Boxing News:
- Carlos Takam 245.7 lbs vs. Jerry Forrest 225.6 lbs – weigh-in results
- Ricky Hatton says ‘We CAN’T let Mike Tyson Fight at 53’
- Boxing Results: Jose Zepeda defeats Kendo Castaneda
- Brad Foster Headlines The Return Of British boxing, Friday Live on BT Sport
- Jose Zepeda 143.9 lbs vs. Kendo Castaneda 143.9 lbs weigh-in results for Tuesday on ESPN
- Emanuel Navarrete set to move up to 126
- Vasiliy Lomachenko vs. Teofimo Lopez moved to October 3 in Las Vegas
- Ryan Garcia dares Golden Boy to RELEASE him if they don’t believe in his abilities
- Floyd Mayweather Jr hinting about an exhibition fight in 2020
- Sergiy Derevyanchenko the #1 option for Canelo Alvarez on Sept.12