By Patrick McHugh: It’s impossible to know how many pay-per-view buys that Saul “Canelo” Alvarez vs. Liam Smith fight will bring in on HBO for their fight on September 17, but Golden Boy Promotions CEO Oscar De La Hoya believes it’s going to be a ton. De La Hoya is gauging the ultimate pay-per-view buys for the Canelo-Smith fight based on the ticket sales for their fight at the AT&T Stadium in Arlington, Texas.
De La Hoya says the ticket sales thus far are outpacing the ticket sales for the Manny Pacquiao vs. Antonio Margarito fight that took place at the same Texas Stadium six year years ago in November 2010. Read the rest of this entry »
By Scott Gilfoid: #5 WBC lightweight contender Luke Campbell (14-1, 11 KOs) will be fighting former world title challenger Derry Mathews (38-10-2, 20 KOs) on October 15 in a scheduled 12 round bout on the undercard of the cruiserweight match-up between WBO champion Tony Bellew and BJ Flores at the Echo Arena in Liverpool, UK.
It’s a decent fight between fringe level lightweights. Neither of these guys will likely ever win a world title at lightweight unless it’s an ideal situation where they’re facing a vulnerable champion like Anthony Crolla. The winner of the Campbell vs. Mathews fight wont really prove anything though. If you feed either of these guys to Mikey Garcia, it’s going to be a real massacre in my view. Campbell-Mathews is more of a domestic level fight than anything.
Mathews, 32, has a very good chance of beating Campbell if he puts the pressure on him and keeps it on him. Campbell’s chin is suspect, and he doesn’t react well to getting hit at the pro level. Read the rest of this entry »
By Dan Ambrose: Golden Boy Promotions CEO Oscar De La Hoya said today that his fighter Saul “Canelo” Alvarez is still a 154lb fighter, and that he’s not going to fight unbeaten Gennady “GGG” Golovkin until his body tells him it’s ready to go up to 160lbs to take that fight. This is the same thing De La Hoya has been saying for months now.
The way that De La Hoya was speaking, it doesn’t seem like Canelo will be fighting Golovkin in 2017. There was previously talk that Golden Boy wanted to wait until the fall of 2017 before they matched Canelo against Golovkin, but now it appears that it’s going to depend on when Canelo’s body is ready for him to fight at 160. Just how long that’ll take is unclear. Read the rest of this entry »
By Allan Fox: Kenny Porter, the trainer/father of former IBF welterweight champion Shawn Porter (26-2-1, 16 KOs), says a fight between him and unbeaten #2 IBF Errol Spence Jr. (21-0, 18 KOs) is a fight that he’s interested in for the future when Spence becomes more of a name. Kenny is more interested right now in matching Porter against WBA welterweight champion Keith Thurman in a rematch or the likes of WBC 147lb champion Danny Garcia. Those are fights that he’d like to make in the near future for Porter.
Thurman is expected to defend his WBA title against his mandatory challenger next David Avanesyan. Garcia could face Andre Berto next and then possibly Thurman in 2017. Porter could be back in October for his next fight, according to Kenny. Read the rest of this entry »
By Eric Baldwin: Gennady “GGG” Golovkin’s habit of standing directly in front of his opponents without moving his head could give challenger Kell Brook a chance against him in their fight on September 10, according to former two division belt holder Paulie Malignaggi. Golovkin pressures his opponents by cutting off the ring and looking to set them up for big shots, notes Malignaggi. analysis
What he doesn’t know is if Brook is going to be able to handle Golovkin’s thunderous punches that he lands in the fight. That’s the big question for Malginaggi. He expects Brook to be able to land his own sharp punches in the fight, but for him to have a real opportunity to win the bout, he must be able to take the 34-year-old Golovkin’s best power shots. Read the rest of this entry »
By Scott Gilfoid: Anthony Crolla will be defending his World Boxing Association lightweight title next month against former three division world champion Jorge Linares (40-3, 27 KOs) on September 24 at the Manchester Arena in Manchester, UK. Crolla, 29, calls this the arena his home and he doesn’t plan on letting the talented 31-year-old visitor Linares to come into his home and take his WBA strap from him in front of his many fans.
Crolla (31-4-3, 13 KOs) recently successfully defended his WBA title last May in stopping 33-year-old challenger Ismael Barroso in the 7th round in Manchester. It wasn’t a really great performance from Corolla despite him winning the fight. I mean, Crolla won the fight, but only because Barroso punched himself out after five rounds. He was giving Read the rest of this entry »
By Dan Ambrose: Saul “Canelo” Alvarez (47-1-1, 33 KOs) says he thinks he’ll be moving up to the 160lb division after he faces WBO junior middleweight champion Liam Smith (23-0-1, 13 KOs) on September 17. Canelo has already been unofficially fighting as a middleweight for the last two years of his career with his catch-weight fights at 155lbs, but it looks like he wants to make it official after he fights Smith next month.
The move up in weight for Canelo is long overdue because as heavy as he is, he should have been fighting at the full weight of 160 pounds in the middleweight division a long time ago. Canelo says he still makes the 154lb weight class easily, but he feels he’ll be more comfortable at middleweight. Read the rest of this entry »
By Scott Gilfoid: If Matchroom Sport promoter Eddie Hearn gets his way, British heavyweight David Price (20-3, 17 KOs) will be fighting on the undercard of International Boxing Federation heavyweight champion Anthony Joshua’s next fight in November in a final eliminator bout against Joseph Parker.
Price, 33, is very interested in fighting Joshua in November. Hearn says he wants Price to get a big win in a break through fight for him to earn the fight against Joshua. Hearn wants Joshua to be fighting only credible opponents right now for his next fight, and he’s looking at one of the three following opponents for that fight: Bermane Stiverne, Kubrat Pulev and Joseph Parker. Read the rest of this entry »
By Dan Ambrose: Undefeated welterweight contender Errol Spence Jr. (21-0, 18 KOs) brought in an average of 4.8 million viewers last Sunday for his fight against Leonard Bundu (33-2-2, 12 KOs) on Premier Boxing Champions on NBC in their fight at the Ford Amphitheater in Coney Island, New York.
The Spence-Bundu fight peaked at 6.34 million viewers. This was PBC’s No.1 fight of all time in the ratings department. The fact that it was Spence that brought in the ratings is pretty special, because he’s being earmarked as the next huge star in the 147lb division. Spence is two or three wins away from being the biggest star in the welterweight division. Read the rest of this entry »
By Scott Gilfoid: Amir Khan (31-4, 19 KOs) says he wants to be really active in 2017 by fighting three times in the year. The 29-year-old Khan has the following months in mind for his three fights: January, May and December 2017.
Whether Khan can do that is not will largely be determined on if he wins and stays injury free.
You would have to assume that is Khan gets whipped by his opposition in January or May, and then he’ll sit out of the ring for a spell to recover from the losses. I mean, if Khan gets knocked out once or twice in his next two fights, then it’s highly unlikely we’ll see him fighting three times in 2017. Read the rest of this entry »