Hearn says he made Jermall Charlo offer for Demetrius Andrade and not gotten reply
By Charles Brun: Eddie Hearn is complaining that he just made a bigger offer to WBC middleweight champion Jermall Charlo (30-0, 22 KOs) for him to step across the pond and face WBO 160-lb champion Demetrius ‘Boo Boo’ Andrade (28-0, 17 KOs) on DAZN, and he’s yet to hear back from him.
The Matchroom Boxing boss Hearn says he made the offer to Charlo on instagram. Hearn says he’s got the proof of the offer on his phone. However, he didn’t show a copy of the offer.
Hearn says offer to Charlo x3 his biggest payday
According to Hearn the offer is three times the best payday the 29-year-old Charlo has received during his 12-year professional career. It’s kind of odd that Hearn is making offers through Instagram rather than just calling Charlo, and sending him the contract offer for him to sign.
“I’ve made Charlo an offer to fight Andrade, 2/3x as much as he’s ever made, can’t get a reply. You’ve got this guy who works for PBC Tim Smith going, ‘I dunno who he’s making offers to?’ I’ve got it on my phone, talking to him on Instagram.” [@SiriusXMBoxing] via @MichaelBensonn.
With no verification of whether Hearn ever gave Charlo the offer, we’re forced to take his word for it and treat it as a legitimate one.
As far as WHY Charlo would ignore an offer made to him by Hearn on Instagram, he might already have something in line for his next fight. Charlo fights on SHOWTIME Boxing, and he’s with Al Haymon. We don’t know what Haymon has in mind for his next fight, but you can guess it might be something a far sight better than for him to fight on another network platform against the southpaw Andrade.
Possible reasons why Charlo didn’t reply to Hearn’s offer:
- Was it a real offer? Hearn is the only saying he made an offer. Charlo hasn’t confirmed that he was given an offer from Eddie
- No contract sent. It wouldn’t make sense for Charlo to agree to an offer without a contract
- Charlo could have other already planned
- Andrade’s lack of popularity. There’s no gain for Charlo to fight Andraede, who isn’t a big star and has an ugly fighting style. Andrade is a southpaw, and he does a lot of spoiling. He wasn’t fighting regularly until Hearn inked him in 2019, and he’s not fought anyone talented during his career. Andrade looked poor in his fights against Jack Culcay and Maciej Sulecki. He completely ran out of gas against Sulecki and looked like he was there for the taking in the championship rounds. Andrade just barely beat Culcay by a 12 round split decision in 2017.
- Hearn choosing Instagram to make offer to Charlo instead of picking up the phone to call him. Charlo may not have taken Hearn seriously due to the way he made the offer. If you make an offer the wrong way, then of course it’s going to be ignored. This could be a culture thing. What works for Hearn in making offers to UK fighters via Instagram may not work with American fighters like Charlo.