Enzo Maccarinelli vs Dmytro Kucher for the Vacant EBU Cruiserweight title
Enzo Maccarinelli will now challenge Dmytro Kucher for the Vacant EBU European Cruiserweight title at Bethnal Green’s York Hall on June 10th, exclusively live on BoxNation. Maccarinelli, a former holder of the European crown, replaces the Derby-based Jamaican Ovill McKenzie who withdraws through injury.
Dynamite-fisted Maccarinelli, from Swansea, Wales, is coming off the back of a brutal knockout win over boxing legend Roy Jones Jr. at the VTB Arena in Moscow last December. The former WBO World Cruiserweight Champion is delighted to be challenging Kucher for the European Crown.
“I had a phone call from BoxNation asking if I’d cover the fight as a pundit. An hour later I had a phone call from my trainer Gary Lockett asking if I fancied stepping in to fight Kucher; it was a bit mad! Obviously I’m always in the gym so I jumped at the chance,” said Maccarinelli.
He added: “I’ve won it before so it’ll be nice to become a two-time European Champion. More importantly it gets me one step closer to another world title which is my ultimate goal. I’m taking things one fight at a time and hopefully I’ll get another shot at the biggest prize. First of all I need to take out Kucker on June 10 and I intend on doing it in style.”
Kucher, from Kiev, Ukraine, comes in with a top record of 17 knockouts from 23 wins and has only tasted defeat once, on points, in a professional career spanning seven years. The big-hitting 31 year-old has previously held the WBC International Silver Cruiserweight title and will be challenging for the EBU European title for a second time after he drew against Belgium’s Bilal Laggoune for the vacant title last October.
An action-packed show sees red-hot Mitchell Smith make his eagerly anticipated return to an action in an eight rounder, English Light-Heavyweight Champion Tom Baker fights over ten rounds and Light-Heavyweight monster Anthony Yarde goes in search of another KO. Top prospects Lyon Woodstock, D.P Carr, Billy Long, Jez Smith, Lucien Reid, Charlie Duffield, Nathaniel Wilson and pro-debutant Ryan Garner all feature.
Tickets are available at ticketmaster.co.uk and eventim.co.uk at prices of £40 and £60.
The Channel of Champions, BoxNation, will televise live and exclusive on Sky 437/HD 490, Virgin 546, Freeview 255 and Talk Talk 415. Subscribe at www.boxnation.com or watch online at livesport.tv and via iPhone, iPad or Android.
More Boxing News:
- WBSS Cruiserweight Final to be shown live on BILDplus in Germany
- Boxing Results: Jose Pedraza defeats Javier Molina, Efe Ajagba Decisions Rice
- Results / Photos: Lubin beats Gausha to earn rematch with Jermell Charlo
- Charles Conwell vs. Wendy Toussaint on October 7 on Showtime
- Zhang Zhilei signs with Matchroom Boxing
- Fury advises Joshua to vacate WBO belt to duck Oleksandr Usyk
- Jose Pedraza dominates Javier Molina in one-sided 10-round decision win
- Boxing Results: Erickson Lubin decisions Terrell Gausha; Jaron Ennis KOs Abreu
- Daniel Jacobs could face Gabe Rosado or John Ryder in the fall
- Hearn wants Wilder to speak up about Fury fight