Why not Floyd Jr. vs Pacquiao?
By Sotoman: Lately, we have been reading articles where Floyd Mayweather Sr. is suggesting that Manny Pacquiao needs to fight specific individuals in order to land a fight with his son Floyd “Money” Mayweather Jr. Some of these boxers Manny needs to beat are: Saul “Canelo” Alvarez, Robert “The Ghost” Guerrero, etc. There are several issues and obvious facts that come to light here.
1. Floyd’s camp is avoiding the fight. Looking back, we can all agree that Canelo is the only “possible” boxer that earned an opportunity with Mayweather Jr. Guerrero, on the other hand beat who? Andre Berto (who lost to Victor Ortiz, who got his TKO by Josesito Lopez). Amir Khan is currently the front runner, and he deservedly beat to earn a fight with Floyd? Manny brings to the table one thing and one thing only: The MONEY! This is what Floyd fights for and Pacquiao will bring the most. Manny’s career as a whole is deserving of this fight, win or lose. Although he has losses, he has had just as remarkable a career as Floyd Jr. Many will also argue or agree that Pacquiao will be remembered by many more for his action packed style.
2. Golden Boy and Top Rank are the same. People continue to blame Arum (I do too), but the blame should be placed on both promotional companies who have a stronghold on the boxing world and preventing many fan clamoring fights from occurring. Top Rank and Golden Boy need to develop a way to bring these fights to light and distribute the earnings in a fair and justifiable manner. In defense to Golden Boy, they seem to have the strong stable of fighters, so we can argue that they have the upper hand on negotiations.
3. Both of these men have had stellar careers and there is no doubt they are Hall of Fame bound. In spite of that, where is the respect and appreciation for the fans from both camps. The fans around the world are making these people filthy rich and yet have given us (the fans) the fight and fights we have longed asked for. Pacquiao and Floyd Jr. continuously thank fans, dedicate their fights to them, but not realizing that there is an emptiness waiting to be filled by both fighters. We can argue that both fighters have made enough money in their careers and don’t need each other to financially be okay. In fact, the only things missing are each other’s name on their resume, win or lose.
Floyd and Manny, financially don’t need each other, but they do need to fight. When this fight does occur, hopefully soon, there will be many explanations and excuses for the winner and loser: He was to old. Fight was past their prime. He lost his footwork. ETC. One thing is for sure, fans still want this fight, it is obvious in the amount of articles people write on these two fighters and they are “BOTH” deserving of great paydays and have nothing to prove to anyone fans, boxing analyst, and promotional company. They have already proven themselves in the ring, for years.
Enjoy the holiday and enjoy this weekend of boxing.
- The Boxing Hall of Fame (Retired in 2021)
- Can Mayweather save Anthony Joshua from Usyk destroying his career?
- Anthony Joshua training while Mayweather looks on
- How Rocky Marciano Compared to Floyd Mayweather, Jr.!