Julio Cesar Chavez Jr. vs. Andy Lee a possibility for June 16th
By Jason Kim: According to news from Fightsaga.com, a fight between middleweight contender Andy Lee (28-1, 20 KO’s) and WBC middleweight champion Julio Cesar Chavez Jr. (45-0-1, 31 KO’s) is in the works for June 16th at the Sun Bowl in El Paso, Texas.
Lee’s trainer Emanuel Steward likes the match-up and feels his fighter is better option for Chavez Jr. to fight compared to the lesser known Vanes Martirosyan, another fighter that has been mentioned recently as a possibility to face Chavez Jr. next.
Lee, #2 WBA, #2 WBO, #4 WBC, would be the ideal opponent for Chavez Jr. to face if he wants to win respect from boxing fans because Lee, 27, at least fights at middleweight and is highly ranked in the division. Martirosyan fights at junior middleweight, and doesn’t have any ranking in the top 15 by the WBC in the middleweight division at this time. That could obviously change in a moments’ notice. We’ve seen it before in order to make fights happen, but hopefully that won’t happen here.
Martirosyan is an excellent choice to fight Chavez Jr, though, and I’d be just as pleased to see that fight happen as I would a Lee-Chavez Jr. fight. However, Lee looks to be the tougher fight for Chavez Jr. because of his power in both hands, hand speed, southpaw stance and his overall boxing ability. Lee can be hit and hurt, but it takes a big puncher to hurt him.
Chavez Jr. isn’t a big hitter and is more of a slow, heavy fighter with likes to fight on the inside against smaller opposition. Lee won’t fight that way against Chavez Jr, which is why I still have doubts that Chavez Jr’s management will try and fight Lee. Martirosyan is pretty the same in that department. He’s going to let Chavez Jr. fight him on the inside, as he’ll keep moving around the ring to try and out-box and out-slug Chavez.
More Boxing News:
- Deontay Wilder SHOULDN’T take rematch with Tyson Fury right now – Andy Lee
- Andy Lee surprised Deontay Wilder taking rematch with Tyson Fury
- Andy Lee predicts Tyson Fury KOs Deontay Wilder in 2nd round
- Eddie Hearn willing to let Julio Chavez Jr. rebuild career on Matchroom undercards
- Daniel Jacobs wants GGG rematch, Jermall Charlo, Saunders or Callum in 2020
- Gervonta Davis wants Ryan Garcia vs. Luke Campbell winner
- Boxing Results: Jose Zepeda defeats Kendo Castaneda
- Jose Ramirez vs. Viktor Postol in August; Josh Taylor vs. Apinun Khongsong in Aug/Sep
- Ryan Garcia: My return is coming
- John Riel Casimero needs a tune-up while waiting for Naoya Inoue