What will Cotto’s excuse be when he gets beat again by Margarito?
By Dan Ambrose: We already know what WBA junior middleweight champion Miguel Cotto’s excuse was for getting destroyed last time he fought Antonio Margarito three years ago. Cotto has made sure to let everyone know that he strongly suspects that Margarito fought him with plaster in his hand wraps in order to beat him in 2008.
Cotto has no proof and it seems silly for him to speculate when he doesn’t know and won’t know. But you have to wonder what Cotto’s excuse will be I when/if he gets blasted apart again by Margarito on December 3rd.
Cotto can’t use the handwrap excuse again, because Margarito is going to be watched like a hawk when he gets taped for the fight. It’s just going to be Margarito and Cotto in that ring, and if Cotto can’t produce for the second time, he’s going to look incredibly silly. I don’t think he realizes how he’s setting himself up to look bad because when you use an excuse for your losses, it’s only believed once.
It won’t get bought the second time around because there won’t be any chance for any wrongdoings. I personally think Margarito beat Cotto fair and square last time out by being the better conditioned athlete and by putting a great deal of pressure on him. Cotto couldn’t hand the pressure and simply ran out of gas. We already saw Cotto wear down in a bout not long before that against Oktay Urkal in the second half of the fight.
Cotto looked exhausted in the second half of that fight and he wasn’t even really getting pressured. We also saw Cotto gas out in the last four rounds against Shane Mosley in November 2007. It was no real surprise then when Cotto gassed out big time against Margarito. He couldn’t handle the pressure from a fighter who back then averaged 100 punches thrown per rounds.
It didn’t matter if Margarito wasn’t a huge puncher because just getting hit 50 to 60 times in one round did plenty of damage. So when Margarito came into the fight against Cotto looking to throw that many punches, Cotto ran for his life until he ran out of gas and was stopped.
On December 3rd, we’re going to see a repeat of that fight with Margarito wearing Cotto down and stopping him again. I wonder what Cotto’s excuse will be then? I can just imagine the excuses that will be flying. I hope Cotto gives Margarito credit, I really do.
More Boxing News:
- Boxing’s Greatest Grudge Matches tonight on ESPNEWS
- Super welterweight division still up for grabs
- Antonio Margarito: The “Loaded” Gloves and His Rivalry with Miguel Cotto on Dec 23 on Telemundo
- Sam Eggington hoping for Antonio Margarito fight in States
- Promoting more challenging than fighting for Miguel Cotto
- Dillian Whyte previews Alexander Povetkin clash
- Eddie Hearn hoping to reach deal on Ryan Garcia vs. Luke Campbell this week
- Wladimir Klitschko coming back? promoter Tom Loeffler wants him to
- Vasily Lomachenko vs. Teofimo Lopez not looking good for Oct.3
- Erislandy Lara fights on August 29 on FOX in Los Angeles