Vitali Klitschko makes final $2 million offer to Valuev – News
By Erik Schmidt: World Boxing Council heavyweight champion Vitali Klitschko (39-2, 37 KO’s) and his management team have made their final offer to former two-time WBA heavyweight champion Nikolay Valuev (50-2, 34 KO’s) of $2 million, according to the latest news. Apparently, the 36-year-old Valuev and his co-promoter Don King have a week to accept the offer or else Klitschko will move on and seek out another opponent for his next fight.
Klitschko offered $1 million originally to Valuev. However, Valuev’s promoter Don King asked for $4 million for his fighter. Klitschko’s management said that was a number that was too high and not in the ballpark for this fight.
The Valuev fight is easily the best fight for the 38-year-old Klitschko aside from a bout against WBA heavyweight champion David Haye. Vitali would like to face Haye immediately, but has to wait for Haye to fight his mandatory opponent John Ruiz on April 3rd. Provided that Haye gets by Ruiz, which isn’t a certainty given Haye’s close win over Valuev in November, then Klitschko can start working on possibly setting up a fight with the British heavyweight star.
Beyond a fight against Valuev, the top contenders in the WBC are a mixed bunch of older veterans and younger contenders with little star power or name recognition. Former 2004 Olympic super heavyweight Gold Medalist Alexander Povetkin is perhaps the best of the bunch, but he’s supposed to be facing Vitali’s younger brother, IBF/WBO heavyweight champion Wladimir Klitschko. Povetkin is the number #1 mandatory for Wladimir’s IBF title.
6’6” Ray Austin is the number #1 contender for Vitali’s title. However, Austin is 39, and was already destroyed by Wladimir three years ago in a quick 2nd round knockout in March 2007. Austin has won four consecutive fights since then, albeit against mostly 2nd tier opposition. Odlanier Solis (15-0, 11 KO’s), a former 2004 Olympic heavyweight Gold Medalist for Cuba, is ranked #2 by the WBC. Solis has very fast hands and exceptional boxing skills. However, Solis has faced only one notable fighter during his three year pro career, 38-year-old fringe contender Monte Barrett, who he beat by a 2nd round knockout in October 2009.
The 6’1” Solis has battled weight problems since turning pro in 2007. In his most recent fight, Solis weighed a portly 271 for his bout against Barrett, which is an absurd number for a fighter of his height. As an amateur, Solis fought at 200. However, since turning pro, Solis’ weight has mostly been in the mid 250s. He still is fighting well despite weighing so much, but then again Solis has faced largely soft opposition in Germany.
More Boxing News:
- 50 years of heavyweight fights we missed out on (1970-2020)
- Joshua vs Ruiz II undercard: Filip Hrgovic ready for Eric Molina
- Vitali Klitschko: Wladimir will consider comeback for $100 million
- Klitschko and Mauricio Sulaiman outline a Champion Convention
- The Heavyweights – An Era in Exile 2003 – 2015
- Dana White says Dillian Whyte vs. Francis Ngannou epress conference NOT happening
- Spence vs. Garcia, Tank Davis vs. Santa Cruz & Chocolatito vs. Estrada 2 planned for U.S boxing return
- Ryan Garcia: Teofimo Lopez is desperate as they come
- Tyson Fury ahead of Anthony Joshua in Forbes’ highest paid athletes list
- Ivan Baranchyk vs. Jose Zepeda on July 7 on ESPN in Las Vegas