By Dan Ambrose: Gennady Golovkin’s trainer Abel Sanchez isn’t ruling out an upset victory for Julio Cesar Chavez Jr. (50-2-1, 32 KOs) in his fight against favorite Saul “Canelo” Alvarez (48-1-1, 34 KOs) in their fight on May 6. Sanchez says that the fight could be turned around by one big punch from Chavez Jr. to Canelo. When he’s at his best, Chavez Jr. is kind of a beat with his ability to absorb shots and dish out punishment. who can forget how Chavez Jr. made the 5’10” Sergio Martinez look small in comparison in their fight in 2012. Martinez is taller than Canelo by at least an inch, possibly two. We don’t really know how tall Canelo is. He might be shorter than his listed height of 5’9″.
Sanchez believes that Golovkin is at risk of losing his next fight to WBA World middleweight champion Daniel “Miracle Man” Jacobs (32-1, 29 KOs) on March 18. Jacobs is a big puncher, and viewed as a risky fight for Golovkin. Of the two fights, you’d have to say that Golovkin is at greater risk of losing to Jacobs than Canelo is in facing the ring rusty Chavez Jr, who will need to melt down to 164 ½ pounds to face him at a catch-weight. Read the rest of this entry »
By Scott Gilfoid: WBA Super World featherweight champion Carl Frampton (23-0, 14 KOs) hasn’t yet faced Leo Santa Cruz (32-1-1, 18 KOs) in a rematch and he’s already looking past him towards a unification match against IBF World featherweight champion Lee Selby (23-1, 8 KOs) later this year.
Frampton’s management appear to be getting the boxing fans primed for that fight by having Selby fighting on the undercard of the Frampton-Santa Cruz 2 card this Saturday night against Jonathan Victor Barros (41-4-1, 22 KOs). Read the rest of this entry »
By Ian Aldous: On Saturday 11th February, Lenny Daws (30-4-2) will make a third attempt to finally claim the vacant European Super-Lightweight title against the undefeated Swede, Anthony Yigit (18-0-1). Previously unsuccessful attempts involving a questionable decision and harsh disqualification have driven Daws on to ensure this will be the third time lucky for himself. Last week I spoke with him over the phone to discuss the fight and those previous European title challenges. Read the rest of this entry »
By Scott Gilfoid: IBF welterweight champion Kell Brook won’t be fighting Amir Khan like he and his promoter Eddie Hearn had hoped, as their request for a 50-50 purse split was rejected by Team Khan for a fight in May. As such, the Brook-Khan fight won’t be taking place in the first half of 2017. Khan says that Brook didn’t want the fight.
Hearn is still hopeful that the fight can take place in the second half of this year, but even then it’s still unknown if it will happen. Unless Brook and Hearn come down from their asking price for the fight, they might not get the fight at all. Read the rest of this entry »
By Chris Williams: Top Rank promoter Bob Arum might have a live one in unbeaten Jeff Born (16-0-1, 11 KOs) as the next opponent for his top money fighter Manny Pacquiao (59-6-2, 38 KOs) for their math-up on April 23. I’m sure Arum doesn’t want Pacquiao to lose so soon after him making his comeback against Jessie Vargas, but things happen.
Horn, 28, seems to think he’s got the ability to beat the 38-year-old Pacquiao. That would obviously be terrible news for Arum if Pacquiao loses to Horn in a small money fight before he can face unbeaten Terence Crawford or Vasyl Lomachenko, two fighters that he’s talked about wanting to match against him. Read the rest of this entry »
By Jeff Aranow: WBA World welterweight champion Keith “One Time’ Thurman (27-0, 22 KOs) sees nothing in the offensive arsenal of WBC 147lb champion Danny “Swift” Garcia (33-0, 19 KOs) that worries him about their fight on March 4 at the Barclays Center in Brooklyn, New York. Thurman sees Garcia as a basic puncher, who doesn’t have the punching power to hurt him in his estimation.
Thurman notes that Danny Garcia couldn’t drop Mauricio Herrera, Robert Guerrero or Lamont Peterson. He believes that if he couldn’t knock those guys down, then he surely won’t be able to put him down on the canvas either. Read the rest of this entry »
By Eric Baldwin: The World Boxing Council will reportedly be creating a special memorial belt for the May 6th fight between Saul Canelo Alvarez and Julio Cesar Chavez Jr. to fight over. There are no titles on the line for that fight, as it’s taking place at a catch-weight of 164 ½ pounds.
Canelo is going to be moving down to middleweight after he fights Chavez Jr., and he’ll be fighting at the full weight for the division at 160l. bs. This is good news, because Canelo is approaching 27, and it’s starting to look strange to boxing fans that he’s not been willing to fight at the full weight for the middleweight division despite fighting at catch-weights in 2014 to 2016. Read the rest of this entry »
By Scott Gilfoid: Carl Frampton (23-0, 14 KOs) says he expects to be involved in a tough fight this Saturday night in his rematch against Leo Santa Cruz (32-1-1, 18 KOs) on January 28, but he doesn’t think it’ll be a tougher one for him than their previous fight last July. In fact, Frampton believes the fight will be easier this time for him due to the training that he’s put in to prepare himself for the talented 28-year-old American Santa Cruz.
Frampton barely beat Santa Cruz last year in winning a 12 round majority decision by the scores 114-114, 116-112 and 117-111. The fans were rooting for Frampton the entire fight, and some boxing say that the judges were influenced by the crowd noise. The racket the fans were making in favor of Frampton made it appear that he was doing better than he was. Read the rest of this entry »
By Dan Ambrose: Miguel Cotto (40-5, 33 KOs) is reportedly interested in facing 43-year-old Juan Manuel Marquez (56-7-1, 40 KOs) in his next fight after he faces James Kirkland (32-2, 28 KOs) on February 25 on HBO PPV from the Ford Center at The Star, in Frisco, Texas.
This would be part of Cotto’s last fights of his career, as he plans on retiring at the end of 2017. Cotto is expected to fight Saul Canelo Alvarez in December on HBO PPV. Cotto already lost to Marquez a year a half ago in November 2015, and he hasn’t fought since that time. Marquez hasn’t fought in almost 3 years. Read the rest of this entry »
By Dan Ambrose: Golden Boy Promotions CEO Oscar De La Hoya believes that the sport of boxing needs the May 6 fight between Mexican star Saul “Canelo” Alvarez (48-1-1, 32 KOs) and former WBC middleweight champion Julio Cesar Chavez Jr. (50-2-1, 32 KOs). The two of them are going to be fighting on HBO pay-per-view in either Las Vegas, Nevada or Texas.
For many Mexican boxing fans of the two fighters Canelo and Chavez Jr., it’s considered a big fight that will bring in a lot of money on PPV and at the gate. De Hoya feels that the fight will help the sport. He may be right about that, even though the fight is considered a non-competitive match on paper, and not the fight that the hardcore boxing fans want to see in the U.S. Read the rest of this entry »