Boxing News - Latest Headlines

title Kell Brook given 60-day medical extension


By Scott Gilfoid: The International Boxing Federation Chairman Lindsey E. Tucker has reportedly given IBF welterweight champion Kell “Special K” Brook (36-1, 25 KOs) a 60-day medical extension due to his broken right eye socket that he suffered in his 5th round TKO loss to IBF/IBO/WBA/WBC middleweight champion Gennady “GGG” Golovkin (36-0, 33 Kos) last month on September 10 in London, England.

The IBF was going to order Brook to start negotiations for a fight against his #1 IBF mandatory challenger Errol Spence Jr. (21-0, 18 KOs) for a fight that would likely take place in early 2017. However, with the IBF giving the 30-year-old Brook a 60-day extension, it buys him time before he needs to make a decision whether to take on the talented 26-year-old Spence or vacate and go in another direction. Read the rest of this entry »

title Pacquiao talks Mayweather rematch


By Chris Williams: Manny Pacquiao (58-6-2, 38 KOs) says his surgically repaired right shoulder is fixed, and he would welcome a rematch with Floyd Mayweather Jr. if he gets past his title fight against WBO welterweight champion Jessie Vargas (27-1, 10 KOs) on November 5 at the Thomas & Mack Center in Las Vegas, Nevada.

Pacquiao doesn’t have much of a chance of Mayweather coming out of retirement to fight him unless perhaps he sees something special from him that would motivate him enough to return to boxing. With Pacquiao fighting Vargas, who is arguably little more than a paper champion, he’s not going in the right direction to try and make that happen. Read the rest of this entry »

title Terence Crawford vs. John Molina Jr. on December 10

John Molina Jr

By Chris Williams: WBC/WBO light welterweight champion Terence “Bud” Crawford (29-0, 20 KOs) will reportedly be defending his titles against #3 WBC, #3 WBO contender John Molina Jr. (29-6, 23 KOs) on December 10 on HBO Championship Boxing from Crawford’s hometown at the CenturyLink Center in Omaha, Nebraska. The fight isn’t official yet, but that’s the fight that is being mentioned. Overall, I expect the fans to greet the news of the Crawford-Molina fight favorably. Molina sometimes makes things excited, but definitely not all the time. When Molina is bad, he’s REAL bad. He’s one of those fighters that you never know what you’re going to get from him effort-wise.

Molina, 33, isn’t the greatest of options for Crawford to fight. After all, Molina did lose easily to Adrien Broner las year in a lopsided 12 round unanimous decision defeat in March of 2015. Broner beat Molina by the scores of 120-108, 120-108 and 118-110. Read the rest of this entry »

title Schaefer says Canelo-Golovkin should happen


By Dan Ambrose: Former Golden Boy Promotions CEO Richard Schaefer says he would have ABSOLUTELY have made the Saul “Canelo” Alvarez vs. Gennady “GGG” Golovkin fight by now if he was still the guy controlling the levers at Golden Boy. Schaefer does not understand why the Canelo-Golovkin fight hasn’t been made by now, because he feels that a win for Canelo would take him to the next level in terms of pay-per-view buys.

Schaefer feels that Canelo’s pay-per-view numbers would go from an average of 250,000 that we’re seeing now to over 1 million buys for EVERY fight from that point on. A loss for Canelo to Golovkin wouldn’t hurt the Mexican star, says Schaefer. He thinks Canelo wouldn’t lose fans at all if he got beat by Golovkin, because he’d still be Canelo. Read the rest of this entry »

title Callum Smith: I’ll be champion by next year


By Scott Gilfoid: #1 WBC contender Callum Smith (21-0, 16 KOs) believes he’s got the style to defeat IBF super middleweight champion James “Chunky” DeGale (23-1, 14 KOs) when or if the two of them face each other in 2017. Never the less, Smith, 26, believes he’ll defeat DeGale or WBC 168lb champion Badou Jack (20-1-2, 12 KOs) to become a world champion by next year.

Smith has to wait a little bit longer before he gets that shot, as DeGale and Jack are facing each other early next year on January 14 in a unification match on Showtime Boxing at a still to be determined venue in the U.S. Read the rest of this entry »

title Pacquiao open to Lomachenko fight


By Chris Williams: It looks like Top Rank promoter Bob Arum won’t need to do much persuading to get his main money maker Manny Pacquiao to agree to fight fellow Top Rank fighter WBO super featherweight champion Vasyl Lomachenko (6-1, 4 KOs) in the first quarter of 2017.

Pacquiao was asked if he’d be willing to fight the 28-year-old Lomachenko, and he quickly smiled and revealed that he can get down to 135 to fight still. The way that Pacquiao said it, you could tell that he likes the idea of fighting Lomachenko. Read the rest of this entry »

title Deontay Wilder expected to fight in spring 2017

1-Deontay Wilder vs Chris Arreola - July 16_ 2016_Fight_Ryan Hafey _ Premier Boxing Champions (3)

By Eric Baldwin: WBC heavyweight champion Deontay “Bronze Bomber Wilder (37-0, 36 KOs) should be fully recovered from his injured right hand and biceps and is expected to fight in the sport, according to Showtime sports vice president Stephen Espinoza. He’s hoping the 31-year-old Wilder will be able to fight several times in 2017.

One of the fights Espinoza is hoping to see the 6’7” Wilder in is a unification match against IBF heavyweight champion Anthony Joshua. We’ll have to see if Wilder and his manager Al Haymon are interested in facing the 26-year-old Joshua next year. They can’t force them o take the fight with Joshua if they don’t want the fight. Read the rest of this entry »

title Arum expects Jessie Vargas to bring in fans for Pacquiao fight


By Chris Williams: To many boxing fans, the Manny Pacquiao vs. Jessie Vargas fight is not much of a fight in terms of the potential big fights out there in the sport. The Pacquiao-Vargas fight, which will be taking place on November 5, hasn’t appeared to catch on with the fans.

Pacquiao and Vargas’ promoter Bob Arum of Top Rank believes the fight is going to do really well on pay-per-view, because he believes that the 27-year-old Vargas will bring in the Hispanic fans to purchase the fight. Read the rest of this entry »

title Golovkin may need to move to 175 says Roach


By Dan Ambrose: It’s widely known that middleweight champion Gennady “GGG” Golovkin is having problems getting the top middleweights to fight him right now. There are only three fighters – Saul Canelo Alvarez, Daniel Jacobs and Billy Joe Saunders that are worth fighting right now at 160 for Triple G.

It might take Golovkin years to get all or some of them to fight him. Trainer Freddie Roach feels that Golovkin should move up to the light heavyweight division (175) in order for him to get better fights and more recognition in the boxing world. Read the rest of this entry »

title DeGale: I see weakness in Golovkin

James DeGale vs Rogelio Medina

By Scott Gilfoid: IBF super middleweight champion James DeGale (23-1, 14 KOs) is looking past his scheduled unification fight against WBC champion Badou Jack (20-1-2, 12 KOs) towards a much desired fight on his part against the talented IBF/IBO/WBA/WBC middleweight champion Gennady “GGG” Golovkin (36-0, 33 KOs) that he’s hoping to get in 2017. DeGale still has a fight against Badou on January 17 he needs to get past first in the U.S, and there’s no telling how that match will wind up.

Golovkin hasn’t spoken of wanting to move up to 168 to fight the likes of DeGale or Badou Jack. There has been talk from WBO super middleweight champion Gilberto “Zurdo” Ramirez’s promoter Bob Arum of him wanting to match his fighter against Golovkin in 2017, but there’s no real interest in his part in taking the fight due to Ramirez not being a big name in the U.S. Read the rest of this entry »



Enter your email address:

Link To Us
please use above banner to link back to us!
Privacy Statement l Back to top of page l Cookies Policy l Contact Us