By Jeff Aranow: Eddie Hearn says he’d like to match his heavyweight Luis “King Kong” Ortiz (27-0, 23 KOs) against unbeaten American heavyweight Jarrell Miller (18-0, 16 KOs). Hearn says he’s going to speak with those fighters to see if they’d be interested in the fight. Hearn says he already spoke with Showtime Sports executive Stephen Espinoza about the fight, and he’s in favor of it.
It would be a sizable step up for the 38-year-old Cuban Ortiz, who has been fighting over-matched opposition lately in British domestic level fighter David Allen and Malik Scott. The 6’4” Miller has the size and the punching power to at least make a fight of it against Ortiz. Read the rest of this entry »
By Jeff Aranow: WBC welterweight champion Danny Garcia believes he’s one win away from taking over Floyd Mayweather’s place at the No.1 fighter in the 147lb division if he can beat WBA champion Keith Thurman in their unification fight on March 4. In Garcia’s view, the winner of his fight against Thurman will be the best fighter in the welterweight division.
I’m not sure if the other top 147lb fighters Errol Spence Jr. and Kell Brook will agree to that opinion, but some boxing fans will agree with what Garcia is saying. Read the rest of this entry »
By Jeff Aranow: WBA welterweight champion Keith “One Time” Thurman (27-0, 22 KOs) and WBC champ Danny “Swift” Garcia (27-0, 22 KOs) today for their kickoff press conference for their March 4 unification fight on Showtime Championship Boxing on CBS at the Barclays Center in Brooklyn, New York.
Garcia’s father Angel Garcia took command of the press conference Wednesday in attempting to shout down Thurman when he was at the podium trying to speak. It got to the point where Angel got up and tried to get at Thurman. Angel had to be held back from getting at Thurman. It was pretty one-sided. Read the rest of this entry »
By Eric Baldwin: The working date for the unification fight between WBO super featherweight champion Vasyl Lomachenko and WBA champion Jezreel Corrales is April 8, according to Top Rank president Todd duBoef. The fight will be televised on HBO. The deal still hasn’t been officially made for the Lomachenko-Corrales fight, but it’s expected to be.
Corrales wasn’t the first choice for Lomachenko. He was interested in facing Orlando Salido to try and avenge his loss to him from 2014. Salido chose not to take the fight. It’s unclear what led to him turning I down, but it might have had to do with money. Salido is going to be facing WBC super featherweight champion Francisco Vargas in a rematch, and he’ll make good money fighting him again.Those two fought to an exciting 12 round draw last year. Read the rest of this entry »
By Scott Gilfoid: Badou Jack (20-1-3, 12 KOs) has official vacated his WBC super middleweight title, according to the World Boxing Council. This move was not unexpected, as Jack, 32, had said that he planned on vacating the title last Saturday night after his 12 round draw against IBF super middleweight champion James DeGale (23-1-1, 14 KOs) at the Barclays Center in Brooklyn, New York.
Jack wants to move up to light heavyweight title challenge the top fighters in that weight class. Jack’s promoter Floyd Mayweather Jr. has immediate plans to have him fight WBC 175lb champion Adonis Stevenson in June. Read the rest of this entry »
By Scott Gilfoid: #2 WBO Marco Huck (40-3-1, 27 KOs) will be fighting the top rated #1 WBO Mairis Briedis (21-0, 18 KOs) on April 1 for the interim WBO cruiserweight title at the Dortmund Westfalenhalle in Germany. The winner of the Huck-Briedis fight will very likely be elevated to the full WBC cruiserweight champion in the near future if/when WBC champion Tony Bellew vacates his title to fight at heavyweight.
I think Bellew won’t bother coming back down to the cruiserweight division after his fight against David Haye on March 4. After Bellew gets a taste of the big cash in the heavyweight division, I see him staying in that weight class. That means the winner of the Huck-Briedis fight will be the new WBC cruiserweight champion. Read the rest of this entry »
By Scott Gilfoid: The fans are going to find out in the next couple of weeks who Kell Brook (36-1, 25 KOs) will be fighting next. Brook’s promoter Eddie Hearn wants him to fight Amir Khan next on May 20 or 27, but it doesn’t look like that fight is going to happen next.
Hearn says that Brook should move up to 154, because he’s having too many problems making weight for the welterweight division. You can argue that the problems that Brook has is Errol Spence Jr. problems rather than weight problems. Brook has to move to 154, to avoid fighting Spence. Read the rest of this entry »
By Jeff Aranow: Former two-division world champion Saul “Canelo” Alvarez’s next against Julio Cesar Chavez Jr. on May 6 is viewed by a lot of fans as sad mismatch on HBO PPV. It’s matches like this that lack the drama needed to take Canelo’s career to the next level.
Canelo v. Chavez Jr. isn’t seen a real fight in the eyes of a lot of boxing fans. It’s not even sporting, because of how bad Chavez Jr. has looked in his last six fights. Canelo is going to likely destroy the very close Chavez Jr. on May 6. Read the rest of this entry »
By Scott Gilfoid: Many boxing fans felt that Carl Frampton’s win over WBA Super World featherweight champion Leo Santa Cruz (32-1-1, 18 KOs) was a bogus victory last July, and they think the fight should have been scored either a draw or a win for Santa Cruz.
Frampton says he wants to prove that his win wasn’t a fluke by him going out and beating Santa Cruz a second time in their rematch in 10 days from now on January 28 at the MGM Grand in Las Vegas, Nevada. Read the rest of this entry »
By Dan Ambrose: Middleweight champion Gennady Golovkin’s trainer Abel Sanchez doesn’t like Julio Cesar Chavez Jr’s chances of beating Saul Canelo Alvarez in their fight on May 6. Sanchez sees Canelo as having all the advantages in the fight with it taking place at a catchweight of 164 ½ pounds. Sanchez sees the 26-year-old Canelo winning the fight by a 12 round decision. That’s surprising news, because a lot of the boxing fans are saying that Chavez Jr. has no chance, and will wind up getting knocked out at some point in the fight by Canelo.
It’s not good that Chavez Jr. quit on his stool just two years ago after the 9th round in his fight against Andrzej Fonfara in 2015. Fonfora knocked Chavez Jr. down in round 9 with a big head shot. In between rounds, Chavez Jr. pulled a no mas in choosing to quit on his stool rather than going out for round 10 and losing the fight possibly by a normal knockout. Read the rest of this entry »