Boxing News - Latest Headlines


title Nathan Cleverly leading candidate for Andre Ward’s July 30 fight

cleverly677

By Scott Gilfoid: An offer has reportedly been made from light heavyweight Andre Ward’s promoters at Roc Nation Sports to the promoters for former WBO light heavyweight champion Nathan Cleverly (29-3, 15 KOs) for a fight on July 30 at the Oracle Arena in Oakland, California.

Cleverly, 29, would be Ward’s tune-up opponent to help get him ready for a title shot against IBF/WBA/WBO light heavyweight champion Sergey Kovalev in November. Roc Nation Sports gave the offer to Cleverly’s promoters at Matchroom Sport, according to Dan Rafael.

Cleverly’s career has really bottomed out lately, and it’s surprising he’s even ranked in the top 15 with the sanctioning bodies. Cleverly was blasted out in four rounds by Kovalev three years ago in 2013. Read the rest of this entry »



title McGregor would have a chance against Mayweather

floyd66

By Jeff Aranow: Boxer Chris Van Heerden is giving UFC champion Conor McGregor a puncher’s chance against Floyd Mayweather Jr. if the two of them face each other this year on September 17. It’s a fight that Mayweather wants, and he believes it can bring in as many PPV buys as his fight against Manny Pacquiao last year.

Van Heerden had the opportunity to spar the 27-year-old McGregor recently. They used big 16oz gloves, and Van Heerden was able to get a pretty good idea of how well McGregor will do against Mayweather. Read the rest of this entry »



title Bellew: I will shock the world against Makabu

bellew100

By Scott Gilfoid: Underdog Tony Bellew (26-2-1, 16 KOs) says he’s going to go down as one of the “absolute greats” on Sunday after he beats #1 WBC Illunga Makabu (19-1, 18 KOs) in their 12 round fight for the vacant WBC cruiserweight title at the Goodison Park Arena in Liverpool, UK.

Bellew rates the 29-year-old Makabu as the best fighter in the cruiserweight division. So when beats him, Bellew feels that he can make the statement that he’s now the best in the division without having to fight the other guys. Personally, I don’t agree with Bellew’s thinking process, but if that’s how he feels, I guess that’s his thing. The World Boxing Council has Bellew rated #6. Read the rest of this entry »



title Mosley wants Cotto, Mayweather, Pacquiao or Marquez

mosley9555

By Dan Ambrose: Shane Mosley (49-9-1, 9 KOs) will be fighting WBA interim welterweight champion David Avanesyan (21-1-1, 11 KOs) this Saturday night in an important match to determine an opponent for the winner of the June 25 fight between WBA welterweight champion Keith “One Time” Thurman and Shawn Porter.

If victorious on Saturday against Avanesyan, Mosley, 44, says he won’t fight Porter if he defeats Thurman. Mosley and Porter are good friends and have worked with one another frequently in the past.

Mosley says he will fight Thurman if he gets past Porter because he’s never worked with Thurman before, However, the guys that Mosley says he wants after the Avanesyan fight is Miguel Cotto, Floyd Mayweather Jr, Manny Pacquiao and Juan Manuel Marquez. Read the rest of this entry »



title Wilder vs. Arreola – make proper fights please!

Chris Arreola

By Scott Bells: It was reported yesterday that Deontay Wilder is lining up Chris Arreola for his voluntary defence mid-Summer. I hope for the sake of boxing that this isn’t the case. I have read writers (particularly one on this site) bashing fighters for being matched up softly recently but this fight would really take the crown.

Chris Arreola was considered a decent heavyweight in 2009-2012 after he fought Vitali Klitschko but was soundly beaten. A subsequent loss to Pole Tomasz Adamek showed that he did not quite have what it took to be operating at world level (Adamek was a world class cruiserweight but not considered world class at heavyweight). Read the rest of this entry »



title Weights: Burns 139, Di Rocco 139

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l-fpmU6JZnw

By Scott Gilfoid: Former two division world champion Ricky Burns (39-5-1, 13 KOs) and his opponent #1 WBA Michele Di Rocco (40-1-1, 18 KOs) successfully weighed in on Friday for their clash for the vacant WBA 140lb title on Saturday night at the SSE Hydro in Glasgow, Scotland.

#7 WBA Burns weighed in at 139.125 pounds, and the 34-year-old Di Rocco came in at slightly heavier at 139.25lbs. Both fighters were under the 140lb limit for the light welterweight division. Read the rest of this entry »



title Eubank Jr. says he’ll outwork Golovkin

eubank56666

By Scott Gildoid: Chris Eubank Jr. (22-1, 17 KOs) believes he’ll beat IBF/IBO/WBA/WBC middleweight champion Gennady “GGG” Golovkin (35-0, 32 KOs) when they face each other in the near future. Unlike other fighters, Eubank Jr. is not intimidated by Triple G. He sees him as a slow fighter with good punching power, but with poor defensive skills that he can take advantage of when he gets him inside the ring.

Eubank Jr., 26, has already formulated how he’ll beat the 34-year-old Kazakhstan fighter by throwing more punches than him. For every one of Golovkin’s punches, Eubank Jr. says he’ll come back with three to five punches of his own. Read the rest of this entry »



title Golovkin’s Plan B is Saunders if no Canelo

saunders5533

By Jeff Aranow: WBO middleweight champion Billy Joe Saunders is the Plan-B opponent for IBF/IBO/WBA/WBC middleweight champion Gennady “GGG” Golovkin if his negotiations with Saul “Canelo” Alvarez fails to produce a fight for September 17. Golovkin’s promoter Tom Loeffler has hopes that a fight can be made with Canelo, but if not, then the 26-year-old Saunders is the guy that want next.

The World Boxing Association will let Golokvin take the unification fight against Saunders or the Canelo fight, but after that, Golovkin will need to fight WBA World middleweight champion Daniel Jacobs at the end of the year. The WBA is looking to reduce the amount of champions they have in each division.

So a fight between WBA Super World middleweight champion Golovkin and Saunders is how the WBA will accomplish that. The WBA will let both Golovkin and Jacobs one more fight before ordering them to face each other. Read the rest of this entry »



title Andre Ward vs. Nathan Cleverly possible for July 30

cleverly444

By Jeff Aranow: Former super middleweight champion Andre Ward (29-0, 15 KOs) is looking for a tune-up opponent for his next fight on July 30, and former WBO 175lb champion Nathan Cleverly (29-3, 15 KOs) is one of the leading names that is being discussed, according to Dan Rafael.

Ward needs a tune-up to get him ready for his November fight against IBF/WBA/WBO light heavyweight champion Sergey Kovalev. Cleverly isn’t a big puncher and is nothing like Kovalev.

If Ward wants an opponent that will get him ready for Kovalev, then he needs another opponent that has better power than Cleverly. Ward would be better off facing someone like Eleider Alvarez rather than Cleverly. Even Andrazej Fonfara would be better than Cleverly. Read the rest of this entry »



title Lucian Bute expects his sample ‘B’ to be negative for Ostarine

By Dan Ambrose: On Thursday, it was revealed that former IBF super middleweight champion had tested positive for the banned substance Ostarine from the post-fight drug test on April 30 following the 36-year-old Bute’s 12 round draw against WBC 168lb champion Badou Jack at the DC Armory in Washington, DC.

It was Bute’s ‘A’ sample that tested positive for the drug. Bute made a statement on Thursday, saying he’s surprised at testing positive for the banned substance Ostarine, and he doesn’t understand how he could have tested positive. Bute believes that the sample ‘B’ will vindicate him by showing negative for the banned drug. Read the rest of this entry »



Social
Search
Link To Us
please use above banner to link back to us!
Search
Subscribe

Enter your email address:

Privacy Statement l Back to top of page