By Scott Gilfoid: IBF/IBO/WBA/WBC middleweight champion Gennady “GGG” Golovkin (35-0, 32 KOs) recently got Saul Canelo” Alvarez’s World Boxing Council title after he chose to cough it up rather than fight him, and now Golovkin is targeting WBO 160lb champion Billy Joe Saunders after the Kell Brook fight. Saunders, 26, has the last remaining middleweight title not in Golovkin’s pressure and he badly wants that belt so that he can hold all the titles in his possession. I have a feeling that Saunders will have to be dragged kicking and screaming into the ring before he’d ever fight someone dangerous Golovkin.
Getting Saunders (23-0, 12 KOs) to fight him may prove to be impossible, because he appears to be waiting for Canelo to fight him in December. That’s the fight that is being talked about. Canelo is expected to move up to middleweight after he makes light work of WBO 154lb strap holder Liam Smith on September 17, and it’s unlikely that Smith will be any problem for him. Read the rest of this entry »
By Allan Fox: Saul “Canelo” Alvarez isn’t ready yet to fight IBF/IBO/WBA/WBC middleweight champion Gennady “GGG” Golovkin, and he’s not saying when he will be ready to take the fight. Canelo says that when the fight does happen in the future, it’ll be Golovkin who will need to try and get ready for him and not the other way around. This means that Canelo expects to be the better fighter of the two when they do step inside the ring. Of course, if Canelo waits out the 34-year-old Golovkin until he’s older and lost his skills, then what he says about the better fighter would definitely apply.
Canelo has a fight next month against WBO light middleweight champion Liam Smith on September 17. After that fight, Canelo says he’ll fight in December, May and then September. His promoters at Golden Boy Promotions have pegged September 2017 for when the Canelo-Golovkin fight will take place. However, Canelo’s promoter Oscar De La Hoya has stopped speaking of next year for when the Canelo-Golovkin fight will be taking place. Read the rest of this entry »
By Allan Fox: Light heavyweight contender Sullivan Barrera (17-1, 12 KOs) says his team has been given an offer to fight unbeaten #2 IBF, #3 WBC, #3 WBA, #4 WBO Artur Beterbiev (10-0, 10 KOs) for a fight at a still to be determined date and time. Barrera, #4 WBA, #8 IBF, #12 BC, hasn’t fought since losing a one-sided 12 round unanimous decision to former super middleweight champion Andre Ward last March at the Oracle Arena in Oakland, California.
Barrera, 34, has been eager to fight since then, but he hasn’t had any fights lined up for him until this potential fight against the hard hitting Beterbiev. Read the rest of this entry »
By Dan Ambrose: Trainer Abel Sanchez believes that Kell “Special K” Brook (36-0, 25 KOs) is going to need to use movement on September 10 if he doesn’t want to get knocked out by his fighter Gennady “GGG” Golovkin (35-0, 32 KOs) at the O2 Arena in London, England.
Sanchez doesn’t know for a fact whether Brook can hurt Golovkin, but he does know that Triple G can hurt him if he can land his shots. That’s why Sanchez thinks that Brook is going to need to use a lot of movement in this fight if he doesn’t want to get knocked out.
However, Sanchez has doubts whether Brook can do a lot of moving with his current weight of 176lbs. He believes that it’s going to be tough on Brook to move for long in the fight with him carrying around that kind of weight. Read the rest of this entry »
By Dan Ambrose: Floyd Mayweather Jr. is gone from boxing with him retiring last year, and Saul “Canelo” Alvarez is seen by his promoter Oscar De La Hoya of Golden Boy Promotions as the replacement as the next star. The boxing world has been slow in agreeing that Canelo is Mayweather’s replacement, perhaps due to Canelo’s reluctance to step up to the plate and take on Gennady “GGG” Golovkin.
Taking that fight and proving that he can beat the Kazakhstan star would seem to be the barrier that Canelo must pass through for him to be the replacement for Mayweather. It’s not enough for Canelo’s promoter De La Hoya to tell the boxing world that he’s the guy that has taken the torch from Mayweather. Read the rest of this entry »
By Scott Gilfoid: In an attempt to leave no stones left unturned, Kell Brook (36-0, 25 KOs) is resorting to getting help from Boxing science at the Sheffield Hallam University to get ready for his September 10 fight against Gennady Golovkin. Brook is doing a lot of different exercises at the Hallam University in hopes of improving his strength, speed and conditioning enough to somehow beat Triple G in their fight at the O2 Arena in London, England.
Brook, 30, is lifting weights, working on treadmills, and other different exercises. All of it is being monitored and graphed to check for constant improvement. Read the rest of this entry »
By Scott Gilfoid: Just when you thought Chris Eubank Jr. (23-1, 18 KOs) couldn’t sabotage his career any more than he already had, he goes and signs for a fight against domestic level fighter Tommy Langford (17-0, 6 KOs). Eubank Jr. will be fighting the 27-year-old Langford on October 22 at the Motorpoint Arena in Cardiff, Wales. I am so, so disappointed in Eubank Jr. with his choice of opponent.
Langford is technically ranked #2 by the World Boxing Organization, which is a very, very high ranking considering the level of opposition he’s been fighting during his four-year pro career. I mean, I can’t recognize one name on Langford’s resume of past opponents, not one. Read the rest of this entry »
By Eric Baldwin: IBF/IBO/WBA/WBC middleweight champion Gennady “GGG” Golovkin (35-0, 32 KOs) says he’s putting his entire focus on his next opponent Kell Brook, because Carl Froch, Chris Eubank Jr., Saul “Canelo” Alvarez and Billy Joe Saunders are acting like clowns. Golovkin says that what makes these fighters similar to clowns is the talking they’re doing but then not fighting. Golovkin says they have no respect.
Golovkin might get a fight one of these days against Canelo, but he’s likely the only one of the bunch that will ever fight him. Saunders doesn’t seem to be truly interested in facing him. Read the rest of this entry »
By Patrick McHugh: It’s impossible to know how many pay-per-view buys that Saul “Canelo” Alvarez vs. Liam Smith fight will bring in on HBO for their fight on September 17, but Golden Boy Promotions CEO Oscar De La Hoya believes it’s going to be a ton. De La Hoya is gauging the ultimate pay-per-view buys for the Canelo-Smith fight based on the ticket sales for their fight at the AT&T Stadium in Arlington, Texas.
De La Hoya says the ticket sales thus far are outpacing the ticket sales for the Manny Pacquiao vs. Antonio Margarito fight that took place at the same Texas Stadium six year years ago in November 2010. Read the rest of this entry »
By Scott Gilfoid: #5 WBC lightweight contender Luke Campbell (14-1, 11 KOs) will be fighting former world title challenger Derry Mathews (38-10-2, 20 KOs) on October 15 in a scheduled 12 round bout on the undercard of the cruiserweight match-up between WBO champion Tony Bellew and BJ Flores at the Echo Arena in Liverpool, UK.
It’s a decent fight between fringe level lightweights. Neither of these guys will likely ever win a world title at lightweight unless it’s an ideal situation where they’re facing a vulnerable champion like Anthony Crolla. The winner of the Campbell vs. Mathews fight wont really prove anything though. If you feed either of these guys to Mikey Garcia, it’s going to be a real massacre in my view. Campbell-Mathews is more of a domestic level fight than anything.
Mathews, 32, has a very good chance of beating Campbell if he puts the pressure on him and keeps it on him. Campbell’s chin is suspect, and he doesn’t react well to getting hit at the pro level. Read the rest of this entry »