By Allan Fox: Unbeaten IBF/IBO/WBA/WBC middleweight champion Gennady “GGG” Golovkin (36-0, 33 KOs) is on the verge of cleaning out the 160lb division once he beats Daniel Jacobs, Billy Joe Saunders and Saul Canelo Alvarez.
Golovkin may not need to defeat Saunders, because he’ll likely be eliminated in early 2017 once he fights the young 26-year-old Canelo Alvarez in a fight that will almost surely wind up on HBO pay-per-view in the United States. Read the rest of this entry »
By Allan Fox: Light heavyweight champion Sergey “Krusher” Kovalev’s former trainer Abel Sanchez thinks unbeaten former super middleweight champion Andre “SOG” Ward (30-0, 15 KOs) isn’t ready to take on a top 175lb fighter like Kovalev (30-0-1, 26 KOs), and he expects him to lose their fight on November 19 on HBO pay-per-view at the T-Mobile Arena in Las Vegas, Nevada.
Sanchez thinks the 32-year-old Ward was a great fighter many years ago when he was in the Super Six tournament from 2009 to 2011, but that fighter no longer seems to exist. Ward has changed, and Sanchez has seen that. Further, Sanchez feels that Ward is taking too quick of a step up in facing the 33-year-old Kovalev in just his third fight since moving up to light heavyweight. Read the rest of this entry »
By Scott Gilfoid: #6 WBC heavyweight contender Bryant Jennings says he’s willing to step in and replace Wladimir Klitschko as the next opponent for IBF heavyweight champion Anthony Joshua to fight on December 10 at the Manchester Arena in Manchester, England.
The World Boxing Association is expected to rule today whether they’ll be sanctioning the Joshua vs. Klitschko fight for December 10. If they don’t sanction it, then the 40-year-old Klitschko intends on going in another direction towards perhaps a fight against Lucas “Big Daddy” Browne on December 10 for the vacant World Boxing Association title.
Jennings (19-2, 10 KOs) has run into a patch of bad luck recently with him suffering back to back losses to Luis “King Kong” Ortiz and Klitschko in his last two fights. Read the rest of this entry »
By Eric Baldwin: Top Rank promoter Bob Arum believes in his fighter Andy Ruiz Jr’s chances against unbeaten Joseph Parker (21-0, 18 KOs) in their fight on December 10 for the vacant WBO heavyweight champion. Arum thinks that Ruiz Jr. will beat the 24-year-old Parker to become the first Mexican to win a heavyweight world title.
For Ruiz Jr. (29-0, 19 KOs) to accomplish that goal, he’ll need to improve over the efforts that he’s shown in his fights against Franklin Lawrence, Raphael Zumbano Love and Siarhei Liakhovich.
It would be big deal for Arum if Ruiz Jr. could win the WBO heavyweight title. Arum obviously wouldn’t care that Ruiz Jr. would be merely one of four heavyweight champions, and not the No.1 champion in the division. Read the rest of this entry »
By Chris Williams: Manny Pacquiao has arrived in Los Angeles and he’s finishing up the very last part of his long training camp to get ready for his title shot against WBO 147lb champion Jessie Vargas on November 5. The fight could lead to a match between Pacquiao and light welterweight champion Terence Crawford, according to Pacquiao’s promoter Bob Arum.
We don’t know that for a factor though. Arum mentioning Pacquiao vs. Crawford right now reminds me a lot of how Arum used to mention Floyd Mayweather Jr’s name a lot before Pacquiao’s fights before they eventually faced each other last year. Read the rest of this entry »
By Allan Fox: Trainer Freddie Roach says the winner of the Sergey Kovalev vs. Andre Ward fight next month won’t decide who the best pound-for-pound fighter is in his view, because he still believes that middleweight champion Gennady “GGG” Golovkin is the best fighter in the sport of boxing pound-for-pound.
If anything, Roach says the winner of the November 5th fight between Kovalev and Ward will bring the winner closer to where Golovkin is, but it WON’T make them better than him.
What Kovalev and Ward have going against them is that neither of them has looked good in their recent tune-up fights. Kovalev, 33, struggled to beat Isaac Chilemba last July in Russia, and Ward has looked poor in three straight fights since making his comeback. Neither fighter looks like a No.1 pound-for-pound fighter, because they’re not dominating the 175lbd vision in an effortless manner the way that Golovkin is at 160. Read the rest of this entry »
By Eric Baldwin: Former IBF 160lb belt holder David Lemieux (36-3, 32 KOs) was supposed to impress in his fight against journeyman opponent Christian Fabian Rios (21-8-3, 6 KOs), but instead he labored to a 10 round unanimous decision last Saturday night in front of a large crowd of supporters at the Bell Centre in Montreal, Canada.
For his troubles, Lemieux was hurt twice by left hands from the southpaw Rios in the 2nd and 3rd rounds. Lemieux ended up with a badly bruised right eye. Rios appeared to win at least two rounds of the fight; although judges gave him no credit for it by scoring the fight 100-90, 99-91 and 100-90. Read the rest of this entry »
By Scott Gilfoid: Matchroom Sport promoter Eddie Hearn says previously unbeaten middleweight prospect Anthony Ogogo (11-1, 7 KOs) was experiencing double vision in his 8th round TKO loss to unheralded Craig Cunningham (17-1, 4 KOs) last Saturday night in their scheduled 10 round fight at the Barclaycard Arena in Birmingham, UK.
The 28-year-old southpaw Cunningham came into the fight with 2012 Olympic bronze medalist Ogogo as the underdog. However, Cunningham dropped Ogogo with a right hook to the head in the 2nd round, and continued to pot shot him though the next six rounds.
Ogogo appeared to come back from the knockdown somewhat, and did reasonably well until the 8th. Cunningham started to tee off on the tired looking Ogogo. The referee Ian John Lewis stopped the action to let Ogogo have some loose tape removed from his gloves. While Ogogo was in the corner, his trainer stopped the fight. Read the rest of this entry »
By Scott Gilfoid: Undefeated super flyweight contender Khalid Yafai (20-0, 14 KOs) defeated Nicaraguan journeyman Johnson Tellez (9-28-5, 6 KOs) by a 3rd round knockout last Saturday night at the Barclaycard Arena in Birmingham, UK. The 27-year-old Yafai nailed Tellez with a left to the midsection to put him down on the canvas. The fight was then halted by referee Kevin Parker at 2:48 of the round after Tellez failed to get back to his feet.
The official time of the stoppage was at 2:48 of the 3rd round. In looking at the knockout blow on replay, it appeared to be partially low, as it was a belt-line shot where most of Yafai’s left glove was below the belt-line rather than on it. Read the rest of this entry »
By Dan Ambrose: Saul “Canelo” Alvarez could be facing some very dangerous fights for him now that he’s moving up to middleweight, says Gennady “GGG” Golovkin’s trainer Abel Sanchez. With Canelo and his promoters at Golden Boy wanting his fights in early 2017 to be televised on HBO pay-per-view, it means that he’s going to need to fight good middleweights like David Lemieux, Billy Joe Saunders or Curtis Stevens, says Sanchez. He feels those will be dangerous fights for Canelo that he could potentially lose.
Sanchez isn’t sure if those fights would result in Canelo being in a war, but he does think those will be matches where he’ll definitely be in a fight. Golovkin has already beaten Lemieux and Stevens by a knockout. Those were easy fights for him, but they may not be easy matches for Canelo. He doesn’t have the same boxing skills that Golovkin possesses. Read the rest of this entry »