By Chris Williams: Manny Pacquiao isn’t entirely sure whether he’ll continue his boxing career after he challenges WBO 147lb champion Jessie Vargas (27-1, 10 KOs) on November 5 at the Thomas & Mack Center in Las Vegas, Nevada. Pacquiao, 36, doesn’t want to look past his fight against Vargas to make a decision on his career at this point.
Things could work badly for the 5’6 1/2” Pacquiao (58-6-2, 38 KOs), because he’s facing a guy a lot bigger than him in the 5’10 ½” Vargas. If Pacquiao loses this fight, then it’s pretty clear that he has nowhere to go at least in the 147lb division. Read the rest of this entry »
By Eric Baldwin: Former four division world champion Adrien “The Problem” Broner (32-2, 24 KOs) will be taking a potentially difficult fight against #3 WBA, #5 WBC light welterweight contender Adrian Granados (18-4-2, 12 KOs) on February 11 on Showtime Boxing.
This is potentially a very difficult fight for the 27-year-old Broner if his manager Al Haymon doesn’t choose to steer the troubled fighter in another direction towards a softer target. Read the rest of this entry »
By Gerardo Granados: Next December 10 at a venue yet to be determined; top ten contenders Joseph Parker and Andy Ruiz will try to make history by becoming the first ever New Zealander or Mexican heavyweight Champion. It would have been better if they were to challenge the heavyweight Champion of the World Tyson Fury, but as the reader already knows the Gypsy King vacated his titles and won’t be around until maybe fall of 2017. So, for the two top WBO ranked available, Parker and Ruiz, they will get the chance to win a vacant title.
Mexico has a vast boxing tradition; I researched and found a list of 175 world champions, titlist and belt holders. From the straw weight up to the welter weight division we can find many great Mexican fighters. Some of those 175 are multiple division Champions or multiple times one division Champions. Read the rest of this entry »
By Eric Baldwin: #13 WBO fringe welterweight contender Felix Diaz (18-1, 8 KOs) has been approved by HBO as an opponent for WBC/WBC 140lb champion Terence “Bud” Crawford (29-0, 20 KOs) to fight on their network for his next fight on December 10 in Omaha, Nebraska. Crawford was able to take the December 10 date on HBO after IBF/IBO/WBA/WBC middleweight champion Gennady “GGG” Golovkin pulled off the date due to him being unable to negotiate a fight against Daniel Jacobs in time to fight in that month.
Promoter Lou Dibella is interested in making the fight between Diaz and the Top Rank promoted 29-year-old Crawford if there’s interest from them. Besides Diaz, Top Rank is reportedly interested in possibly matching Crawford against unbeaten #1 WBC Antonio Orozco (25-0, 16 KOs) or IBF World light welterweight champion Eduard Troyanovsky (25-0, 22 KOs). Both fighters are flawed, and very beatable despite their unbeaten records. Read the rest of this entry »
By Scott Gilfoid: Matchroom Sport promoter Eddie Hearn says he’s going to make his decision in the next 48 hours who IBF heavyweight champion Anthony Joshua will be fighting on December 10 at the Manchester Arena in Manchester, England. Hearn had been hoping the World Boxing Association would sanction a fight between Joshua and Wladimir Klitschko for that date.
Unfortunately for Joshua, Klitschko revealed that he was injured on Monday and couldn’t take the fight. Hearn is now planning on selecting Joshua’s likely opponent from this bunch: Eric Molina, Kubrat Pulev, Bryant Jennings, Jarrell Miller and David Price. Read the rest of this entry »
By Dan Ambrose: Golden boy Promotions CEO Oscar De La Hoya told the boxing media this week that he is absolutely certain that the mega-fight between Golden Boy fighter Saul “Canelo” Alvarez and IBF/IBO/WBA/WBC middleweight champion Gennady “GGG” Golovkin will get made for 2017.
De La Hoya says he has no doubts the fight will happen. However, De La Hoya wasn’t willing to talk about the recent flat fee offer of $10 million that was made to Golovkin for the fight. De La Hoya said that he won’t discuss the negotiations on camera to the media, and that the negotiations would take place behind closed doors.
It was De La Hoya that was the one who told the media about the eight-figure offer made to Golovkin for the Canelo fight last month after Canelo’s 9th round knockout win over WBO junior middleweight champion Liam Smith on September 17. De La Hoya obviously had his reasons for telling boxing fans about the offer made to Golovkin at the time. Read the rest of this entry »
By Allan Fox: Former super middleweight champion Andre “SOG” Ward (30-0, 15 Kos) questions the conditioning of IBF/IWBA/WBO light heavyweight champion Sergey “Krusher” Kovalev (30-0-1, 26 KOs), and he believes he’s going to take advantage of it on November 19 when the two of them face each other on HBO PPV.
Ward says he’s seen only one of Kovalev’s fights, and yet he’s seen enough of him from the one fight to know that he gets frustrated when he can’t get a KO in his fights. It’s unclear what fight that Ward saw of Kovalev, because he didn’t seem to get frustrated when he went the full 12 rounds against his last opponent Isaac Chilemba or in his fight against Bernard Hopkins in 2014. Read the rest of this entry »
By Scott Gilfoid: Former WBA heavyweight champion David Haye says IBF heavyweight champion Anthony Joshua will be fighting #8 WBC Eric Molina (25-4, 19 KOs) next in December. Haye says he’s pretty sure about Molina, 34, being the guy that will be facing Joshua next.
Haye says he’s disappointed at the news of Wladimir Klitschko suffering a calf injury and not being available to fight Joshua, because he felt that would have been Joshua’s coming out party if the fight had happened in December. Read the rest of this entry »
By Chris Williams: There isn’t a lot of excitement in the boxing world about Manny Pacquiao’s title challenge of WBO welterweight champion Jessie Vargas (27-1, 10 KOs) in less than two weeks from now on November 5 on Top Rank pay-per-view. Bob Arum, the promoter of Pacquiao (58-6-2, 38 KOs) and Vargas, believes their fight is going to bring in very, very HUGE numbers on pay-per-view.
This might be just wishful thinking from the promoter, as the fans seem to be ignoring the fight, and thinking of other fights rather than another in house Top Rank fight that Arum has put together between his stable fighters. My own estimate for the Pacquiao-Vargas pay-per-view buys is in the 300,000 range. Read the rest of this entry »
By Dan Ambrose: Daniel Jacobs (32-1, 29 KOs) and his team have until March of 2017 to fight middleweight champion Gennady “GGG” Golovkin (36-0, 33 KOs), according to trainer Abel Sanchez. If the Jacobs fight doesn’t take place by March of next year, Golovkin will be moving on to other things.
Sanchez says they have other plans for Golovkin beyond March, and they’re not going to keep investing more time with the Jacobs fight. As it is, the Jacobs fight has taken the remainder of 2016. Read the rest of this entry »