By Scott Gilfoid: Many boxing fans felt that Carl Frampton’s win over WBA Super World featherweight champion Leo Santa Cruz (32-1-1, 18 KOs) was a bogus victory last July, and they think the fight should have been scored either a draw or a win for Santa Cruz.
Frampton says he wants to prove that his win wasn’t a fluke by him going out and beating Santa Cruz a second time in their rematch in 10 days from now on January 28 at the MGM Grand in Las Vegas, Nevada. Read the rest of this entry »
By Dan Ambrose: Middleweight champion Gennady Golovkin’s trainer Abel Sanchez doesn’t like Julio Cesar Chavez Jr’s chances of beating Saul Canelo Alvarez in their fight on May 6. Sanchez sees Canelo as having all the advantages in the fight with it taking place at a catchweight of 164 ½ pounds. Sanchez sees the 26-year-old Canelo winning the fight by a 12 round decision. That’s surprising news, because a lot of the boxing fans are saying that Chavez Jr. has no chance, and will wind up getting knocked out at some point in the fight by Canelo.
It’s not good that Chavez Jr. quit on his stool just two years ago after the 9th round in his fight against Andrzej Fonfara in 2015. Fonfora knocked Chavez Jr. down in round 9 with a big head shot. In between rounds, Chavez Jr. pulled a no mas in choosing to quit on his stool rather than going out for round 10 and losing the fight possibly by a normal knockout. Read the rest of this entry »
By Jeff Aranow: Daniel Jacobs will be enjoying a 2 ½” height and 3” reach advantage over Gennady “GGG” Golovkin on March 18. Jacobs’ trainer Andre Rozier says the size advantage for his fighter is going to give Golovkin all kinds of problems when they get inside the ring at Madison Square Garden in New York.
Rozier says the 6’1” Jacobs is going to use movement and his reach to get the better of the 5’10 ½” Triple G. Read the rest of this entry »
By Dan Ambrose: Saul Canelo Alvarez surprised boxing fans this past week when he decided to move up in weight 9 ½ pounds to take on Julio Cesar Chavez Jr. at a catchweight of 164 ½ pounds on May 6 in their big Mexican showdown HBO pay-per-view. Before agreeing to fight Chavez, 30, Canelo had been unwilling to move up to the full weight of 160lbs to fight middleweight champion Gennady “GGG” Golovkin for his titles.
Canelo’s promoters at Golden Boy maintained that he hadn’t grown into the middleweight class, and that he needed time to keep filling out, even though there were many rumors about Canelo (48-1-1, 34 KOs) rehydrating into the 180s for his fights. But with Canelo agreeing to go well beyond the 160lb division to fight Chavez Jr.(50-2-1, 32 KOs) at a catchweight of 164.5lbs, it looks strange to boxing fans how he had no problems with moving up in weight for this match-up. Read the rest of this entry »
By Scott Gilfoid: As far as Badou Jack is concerned, he whipped IBF super middleweight champion James DeGale last Saturday night, and there’s no point in them fighting a rematch. The judged that were assigned to the DeGale-Jack fight scored it a 12 round draw last Saturday night at the Barclays Center in Brooklyn, New York.
Jack, 33, finished the fight looking like the winner with him dropping DeGale in round 12, knocking out some of his front teeth, and busting his eardrum. It was a methodical beating that Jack inflicted on the 30-year-old DeGale. Read the rest of this entry »
By Jeff Aranow: Undefeated #8 WBA junior middleweight contender Erickson “The Hammer” Lubin (17-0, 11 KOs) will be fighting #8 WBC Jorge Cota (25-1, 22 KOs) in the co-feature bout on March 4 on the Danny Garcia vs. Keith Thurman card at the Barclays Center in Brooklyn, New York. Showtime Championship Boxing will likely be televising the card. However, there’s a chance that CBS could televise the fight card, according to RingTV.
Lubin, 21, is still a prospect at this point in his career despite him being ranked by the WBA at No.8. He’s got a lot of work to do before he’s ready to mix it up with champions like the Charlo brothers and Erislandy Lara. Read the rest of this entry »
By Dan Ambrose: The March 18th fight card headlined by IBF/IBO/WBA/WBC middleweight champion Gennady “GGG” Golovkin vs. Daniel Jacobs just got a lot stronger today with the addition of WBC super flyweight champion Roman “Chocoltito” Gonzalez (46-0, 38 KOs) vs. Srisaket sor Rungvisai (41-4-1, 38 KOs) being added to the undercard as the co-feature bout at Madison Square Garden in New York.
The Gonzalez-Rungvisa isn’t a great fight like last September’s match between Gonzalez and Carlos Cuadras, but it will be nice for the boxing fans to see Gonzalez in action. His opponent 30-year-old Rungvisai is little more than the prop that will standing across from Gonzalez in the ring on March 18 to absorb punishment. Read the rest of this entry »
By Scott Gilfoid: For his wins over Leo Santa Cruz and Scott Quigg, Carl Frampton (23-0, 14 KOs) has been picked out as Ring Magazine’s Fighter of the Year for 2016. I’m not sure that I agree with the selection though, as I had Frampton losing to Santa Cruz last July. At best, I thought Frampton vs. Santa Cruz was a 12 round draw.
Frampton didn’t shine against Quigg either. I had that fight scored as a draw as well. Quigg rallied like crazy in the last six rounds against a tired looking Frampton. Read the rest of this entry »
By Dan Ambrose: In a battle for the No.1 fighter in Mexican boxing, former two division world champion Saul “Canelo:” Alvarez (48-1-1, 34 KOs) has reportedly been installed by the odds-makers as an 8:1 favorite to beat former WBC middleweight title holder Julio Cesar Chavez Jr. (50-2-1, 32 KOs) on May 6, according to Fight News.
Canelo vs. Chavez Jr. will be televised on HBO pay-per-view, likely at the T-Mobile Arena in Las Vegas, Nevada. The venue still hasn’t officially been ironed out, but it’s looking like the fight will take place in Las Vegas. Read the rest of this entry »
By Scott Gilfoid: #1 WBC contender Callum Smith is waiting to find out if he’s going to get his mandatory title shot against WBC super middleweight champion Badou Jack or face #2 WBC Anthony Dirrell for the vacant WBC title. The World Boxing Organization has ordered the Jack vs. Callum Smith fight, and they have a deadline of February 17 to get the fight made.
It’ll go to a purse bid if the fight isn’t negotiated by that point. Badou’s promoter Floyd Mayweather Jr. said they plan on moving up to 175 now that the unification fight against IBF super middleweight champion James DeGale is behind them. Read the rest of this entry »