By Dan Ambrose: In something of an odd move, World Boxing Organization junior middleweight champion Liam Smith (23-0-1, 13 KOs) and the Golden Boy Promotions flagship fighter Saul “Canelo” Alvarez (47-1-1, 33 KOs) will NOT be taking part in the drug testing from Voluntary Anti-Doping Association (VADA) for their upcoming fight next month on September 17 on HBO pay-per-view at AT&T Stadium in Arlington, Texas.
It’s too bad there won’t be drug testing for the Canelo-Smith fight, because I think it helps when boxing fans know that the testing is being done. Neither of these fighters have ever been under suspicion for using performance enhancing drugs in the past, but it would still be nice if the testing had been done. Read the rest of this entry »
By Scott Gilfoid: #11 WBC heavyweight contender Eric Molina (25-3, 19 KOs) is interested in facing either David Price (20-3, 17 KOs) or David Haye (28-2, 26 KOs) in November in order to get a title shot against International Boxing Federation heavyweight champion Anthony Joshua.
Prices trainer Dave Coldwell said recently that he was interested in matching the 33-year-old Price against Molina in November. Whether he was serious or not is the important question. Molina, 34, is a real talent with excellent punching power and good size. For Price to go from beating the likes Vaclav Pejsar in his last match to facing Molina in November would be a monstrous leap up in competition for the struggling heavyweight. Read the rest of this entry »
By Allan Fox: David Emanuel Peralta (26-2-1, 14 KOs) saw his fortunes change last Saturday night with his 12 round split decision win over former two division world champion Robert “The Ghost” Guerrero (33-5-1, 18 KOs) at the Honda Center in Anaheim, California. The 5’11” Peralta says he had been planning on retiring from boxing after his fight against Guerrero, but after beating he says he’s going to be quitting his taxi driving job to focus on his career.
Peralta wasn’t supposed to win the fight, but he did a great job of outworking Guerrero to get the win. Guerrero’s dad/trainer Ruben Guerrero felt that the judges didn’t score the fight properly, because he believes that Robert should have won all 12 rounds of the fight. He saw it as a one-sided affair. Read the rest of this entry »
By Chris Williams: WBO welterweight champion Jessie Vargas (27-1, 10 KOs) thinks ESPN First Take analyst Max Kellerman is ignorant for his recent comments in saying that if Manny Pacquiao (58-6-2, 38 KOs) loses to Vargas in their fight on November 5, then it suggests that the Filipino fighter is over-the-hill. Kellerman said that it appears that the reason why Pacquiao chose to fight Vargas next instead of unbeaten WBC/WBO light welterweight champion Terence “Bud” Crawford next is because he’s only fighting for money rather than for the sport.
Kellerman sees Vargas as the easier option for Pacquiao than Crawford, who he feels would be a real test for him if the fight had been made. Pacquiao, 37, had the option to select the Top Rank promoted Crawford for his next fight, but he instead selected Vargas.
It’s easy to understand why Pacquiao selected Vargas to fight, because he’s clearly a more beatable guy. All Kellerman is doing is speaking the plain facts. Read the rest of this entry »
By Scott Gilfoid: Golden Boy Promotions CEO Oscar De La Hoya is under the impression that he cannot afford to let his fighter Saul “Canelo” Alvarez to wait beyond 2017 before he matches him against unbeaten IBF/IBO/WBA/WBC middleweight champion Gennady “GGG” Golovkin (35-0, 32 KOs) for their much talked about mega-fight.
De La Hoya feels that the Canelo-Golovkin fight is the biggest in boxing, and he wants to take advantage of that rather than waiting too long to finally put the bout together. De La Hoya sees the Canelo vs. Golovkin fight as the equivalent of the Marvin Hagler vs. Tommy Hearns fight.
De La Hoya thinks that it would be too soon to make the fight between Canelo and Golovkin right now, because the fans have just started talking about the fight a year ago. Read the rest of this entry »
By Scott Gilfoid: Trainer Abel Sanchez sees IBF welterweight champion Kell Brook’s recent weight gain as a sure sign that he’s going to attempt to use his weight to bully IBF/IBO/WBA/WBC middleweight champion Gennady “GGG” Golovkin in their fight on September 10.
Sanchez sees Brook, who recently weighed in at 176lbs for the 30-day weigh-in, trying to use his size to muscle GGG with clinching and other wrestling techniques to shut down his offense the way he did with Shawn Porter. Sanchez doesn’t think it’s going to work at all. He says that if Brook attempts to bully Golovkin, it’ll be a great fight but it’ll end with a knockout for his fighter. Read the rest of this entry »
By Dan Ambrose: #13 WBC welterweight contender Robert “The Ghost” Guerrero (33-5-1, 18 KOs) seems to be in real denial about his 12 round split decision loss to unheralded Argentinian David Emanuel Peralta (26-2-1, 14 KOs) last Saturday night on Premier Boxing Champions on Spike from the Honda Center in Anaheim, California.
Guerrero, 33, thinks he should have won the fight despite the fact that he totally caved in from round five to twelve of the contest. Guerrero gassed out in a way that left no doubt who the better fighter was between the two aging welterweights. That’s not to say Peralta looked good, because he didn’t. It was a case of Guerrero looking dreadful after the 4th round. Read the rest of this entry »
By Jim Dower: In a shocking upset, little known 2nd tier fighter David Peralta (26-2-1, 14 KOs) defeated former two division world champion Robert “The Ghost” Guerrero (33-5-1, 18 KOs) by a 12 round split decision in welterweight action on Saturday night on Premier Boxing Champions on Spike TV from the Honda Center in Anaheim, California. Read the rest of this entry »
By Jim Dower: 37-year-old journeyman Freddie Hernandez (34-8, 22 KOs) outworked and outlanded a badly faded Alfredo “El Perro” Angulo (24-6, 20 KOs) in beating him by a 10 round unanimous decision in super middleweight action on Saturday night on Premier Boxing Champions on Spike TV from the Honda Center in Anaheim, California. The judges scored the fight 98-92, 97-93 and 97-93. Boxing News 24 had Hernandez winning six rounds to four. Read the rest of this entry »
By Allan Fox: Andre Ward (30-0, 15 KOs) is now scheduled to challenge IBF/WBA/WBC light heavyweight champion Sergey Kovalev (30-0-1, 26 KOs) in the next three months on November 19 in what will be a real test of whether Ward can hang with the best at 175. It’s good that the fight got negotiated because for a time there it was unclear if it would get put together.
We don’t yet whether Ward is cut out to be fighting in the light heavyweight division because he’ s only fought one actual light heavyweight during his three-fight comeback and that was the badly flawed Sullivan Barrera. Ward’s other two fights came against super middleweights Alexander Brand and Paul Smith. Ward didn’t even look good in those fights. He couldn’t do anything with Brand, and Smith staggered him in the 7th round with a right hand in their fight last year. Read the rest of this entry »