Boxing News - Latest Headlines


title Adrien Broner still refusing to do interviews

broner4By Allan Fox: Former three division world champion Adrien “The Problem” Broner (30-2, 22 KOs) is doing a great job of undermining his fight for this Saturday night on October 3rd against former WBA “regular” light welterweight champion Khabib Allakhverdiev (19-1, 9 KOs) by refusing to speak to the media.

Broner, 26, is still bent out of shape after being quite rightfully raked over the coals by Dan Rafael about him being allowed to fight for the vacant WBA “regular” 140lb title Against the 32-year-old #5 WBA Allakhverdiev rather than against #1 WBA Jose Benavidez (23-0, 16 KOs), who has been skipped over completely by the World Boxing Association for this fight. Read the rest of this entry »



title Roy Jones Jr. wants McKenzie or Maccarinelli

jones5By Scott Gilfoid: #11 WBO cruiserweight contender Roy Jones Jr. (62-8, 45 KOs) is looking to get a title shot in the near future. Jones, 46, is hoping to get a fight against 35-year-old high level journeyman Ovill McKenzie (25-12, 13 KOs) if he defeats IBF cruiserweight champion Victor Ramirez (22-2, 17 KOs) in his gift title shot this Friday, on October 2nd at the Villa La Ñata Sporting Club, Benavídez, in Buenos Aires, Argentina.

Jones Jr. has won his last eight fights since being stopped in the 10th round by Denis Lebedev in their fight in May 2011 in Moscow, Russia. Jones specifically wants McKenzie for a title shot if he beats Ramirez. Read the rest of this entry »



title Fortuna – Velasquez tonight on Fox Sports 1

EW5G3343(Photo credit: Lucas Noonan/Premier Boxing Champions) By Dan Ambrose: IF World super featherweight champion Javier Fortuna (28-0-1, 20 KOs) will be putting his unbeaten record and IBF 130lb title up for grabs against the much taller 5’9” Carlos Ivan Velasquez (19-1, 12 KOs) in a voluntary defense on Premier Boxing Champions on Fox Sports 1 from the Palms Casino and Resort at the Pearl Theater in Las Vegas, Nevada.

The 5’5” Fortuna recently captured the vacant WBA 130lb title last May in beating an over-matched Bryan Vasquez by a 12 round unanimous decision in New York at the Barclays Center in Brooklyn. The Fortuna-Vasquez fight was supposed to have been a competitive affair, but Vasquez was too slow of hand and foot to do much against the much faster 26-year-old Fortuna. Read the rest of this entry »



title Will Pacquiao rise again?

Manny PacquiaoBy Yannis Mihanos: After his lackluster performance against Floyd Mayweather Jr. (49-0) on May 2nd, Manny Pacquiao (57-6-2, 38 KOs) appeared to seriously injure his right shoulder and had to undergo surgery days after the fight.

Fighters often fight injured or get injured while fighting. This is something that in the world of boxing and sports is common. But when the injuries become excuses for their losses then fighters begin to lose credibility. Read the rest of this entry »



title Khan: Brook needs to up his game

By Scott Gilfoid: Amir Khan (31-3, 19 KOs) says he might give IBF welterweight champion Kell Brook (35-0, 24 KOs) a fight in 2016, but he thinks that the 29-year-old Brook still needs to start fighting better opposition.

Khan told his promoter Eddie Hearn that he needs start matching Brook against better opposition. But instead of matching Brook against the fighters that he suggested [Tim Bradley, Danny Garcia and Marcos Maidana], Hearn has scheduled Brook to fight Diego Chaves (23-2-1, 19 KOs), a fighter with a 1-2-1 record in his last four fights. Read the rest of this entry »



title Fury’s promoter expects Klitschko fight in Nov or Dec

furyBy Scott Gilfoid: Mick Hennessy, the promoter for unbeaten British heavyweight Tyson Fury (24-0, 18 KOs), expects Fury’s fight against IBF/IBO/WBA/WBO heavyweight champion Wladimir Klitschko (64-3, 53 KOs) to be rescheduled for November 28th at the ESPRIT Arena in Dusseldorf, Germany.

Wladimir suffered an injury to his left calf in training last week, not long after his press conference with Fury in London, UK. Wladimir reportedly suffered an injury to the tendon in his calf. Read the rest of this entry »



title Hearn wants Joshua vs. Haye in 2016

haye788By Scott Gilfoid: If former two division world champion David Haye wants to get a big payday fight against unbeaten #2 WBC heavyweight contender Anthony Joshua (14-0, 14 KOs), then Haye needs to get back inside the ring and start fighting, says Joshua’s promoter Eddie Hearn.

Hearn wants to make a fight between Joshua and Haye in 2016, and he believes it would be a huge fight if it could take place. But Hearn doesn’t know if Haye is serious about wanting to make a comeback or not because he’s been talking about wanting to make a comeback for the last three years since his last fight in 2012. Read the rest of this entry »



title Pacquiao rematch for Mayweather would generate big money

1-MAYPAC WEIGH IN-TRAPPFOTOS-3996By Chris Williams: If Floyd Mayweather Jr. (49-0, 26 KOs) chooses to come back in 2016, he almost has to fight Manny Pacquiao (57-6-2, 38 KOs) to go for his 50th win of his career. The money is too good for Mayweather not to fight the 36-year-old Filipino fighter.

Mayweather and Pacquiao could face each other at the new Arena in Las Vegas, Nevada. By then, many of the angry boxing fans will have forgotten about the disappointing fight between the two superstars last May at the MGM Grand in Las Vegas. Read the rest of this entry »



title Eubank Jr. wants Golovkin

eubank44By Scott Gilfoid: Interim WBA middleweight champion Chris Eubank Jr. (19-1, 14 KOs) says he wants to fight IBO/WBA middleweight champion Gennady “GGG” Golovkin (33-0, 30 KOs). The 26-year-old Eubank Jr. says he wants to win world titles at both 160 and 168, and he doesn’t see why he shouldn’t go after the likes of Golovkin.

Eubank Jr. says he wants to fight the best in both divisions, and he thinks that within two years he can have all the world titles in both the middleweight and super middleweight divisions. Read the rest of this entry »



title Povetkin next for Deontay Wilder, says Sulaiman

By Tim Fletcher: With his 11th round technical knockout victory over #11 WBC contender Johann Duhaupas (32-3, 20 KOs) last Saturday night on Premier Boxing Champions on NBC, WBC heavyweight champion Deontay Wilder (35-0, 34 KOs) has run out of voluntary defenses to take, and he now has to defend against his dangerous #1 WBC mandatory challenger Alexander Povetkin (29-1, 21 KOs) in his next fight.

This is what World Boxing Council president Mauricio Sulaiman is saying. As long as the 36-year-old former WBA heavyweight champion Povetkin wins his next fight on November 4th against former world title challenger Mariusz Wach (31-1, 17 KOs), then Wilder will need to fight him next. Read the rest of this entry »



Newsletter

The views expressed in all articles are those of the authors and do not necessarily reflect those of BoxingNews24 or its affiliates.

Privacy Statement l Back to top of page l Cookies Policy l Boxing Resources l Contact Us