Boxing News - Latest Headlines


title Mayweather-Hatton On HBO

hatton24242424.jpg“This fight is going to be extremely exciting, the buzz is worldwide and I am very excited that Golden Boy can bring another great event to boxing fans,” said Oscar de la Hoya, president of Golden Boy Promotions. “This is one of the biggest nights in boxing history, showcasing a welterweight match-up between two undefeated fighters … a fantastic way to end a record-breaking year.”

Leonard Ellerbe of Mayweather Promotions said, “Mayweather Promotions is delighted to be a part of this tremendous event. December 8 will be our first major promotion and its magnitude only is a testament to our commitment to bring great boxing match-ups to fans around the world.” Read the rest of this entry »



title Holt Files Protest With WBO

holt463_01.jpgLight welterweight Kendall Holt has filed an official protest to the WBO asking for a rematch with WBO light welterweight champion Ricardo Torrez (32-1, 28 KOs), who defeated Holt by 11th round TKO earlier this month on September 1st at the Salon Jumbo del Country Club, in Barranquilla, Atlantico, Colombia. Ostensibly, Holt feels that the ring was unsafe in the 11th round of the fight, immediately after Torres knocked Holt down with a scorching left hook, at which point the fans began to throw beer and water into the ring, making the canvas slick and traction difficult.

Though Holt was never seen to have slipped during the round, they still feel that the ring was made unsafe and therefore the bout should be ruled as a “no contest,” meaning that the fight wouldn’t count on Holt’s record, and they would have to fight one more. Also, Holt states further that he was hit in the eye in the sixth round by a can, and it made it difficult to see. This occurred immediately after Holt had knocked Torres down and had him badly hurt in the round. Based on reports, the WBO will make a decision within 10 days, letting them know at that time whether they will grant Holt’s request. Read the rest of this entry »



title Sosa Stops Trejo

sosa332222222.jpgWBA light flyweight champion Edgar Sosa (29-5, 15 KOs) stopped his over-matched challenger Lorenzo Trejo (30-16, 17 KOs) in the 9th round on Sunday night at the Hard Rock Hotel and Casino, in Las Vegas, Nevada. Trejo, 30, moving up from the minumweight class to challenge Sosa for the title, was no match for him in overall speed or talent and was out-boxed every step of the way by the taller, quicker and more talented Sosa. In the 9th round, Trejo both eyes badly swollen, was hurt by a brutal left hook to his midsection. Sosa then followed up with flurry that led to the referee stepping in and putting a stop to the bout at 2:02 of the round.

Strange as it may seem, Trejo is considered one of the top fighters in the minumweight division. However, against the light flyweight champion Sosa, Trejo was no match from the very start. Sosa peppered him with fast jabs in the first few rounds of the fight, keeping him on the outside where he was mostly harmless as a fly. Trejo, a fighter that likes to fight on the inside, kept trying to get in close so that he could land his hooks to the body and head, but Sosa stayed on the move, constantly pumping out his jab, and frustrating Trejo. Read the rest of this entry »



title Arce KOs Rojas

arce75.jpgFormer light flyweight and flyweight boxing champion Jorge Arce (47-4-1, 36 KOs) , fighting for the first time at bantamweight, looked positively dreadful as he rallied to defeat unheralded Tomas Rojas (26-11 18 KOs) in a sixth round TKO on Sunday night at the Hard Rock Hotel and Casino, in Las Vegas, Nevada. Arce, who is coming off a title losing bout to Cristian Mijares on April 14, 2007, fought like he still hadn’t recovered from that bout, as he was utterly dominated by Rojas for five of the six rounds of the fight until he launched a left hook to the body in the sixth round that knocked Rojas down. Arce ended things shortly after Rojas dragged himself off the canvas by greeting him with a nice flurry of punches.

However, the KO didn’t erase the image of how poorly Arce fought against Rojas, because he truly looked as if he didn’t belong in the same ring with the B-level bantamweight fighter. Granted, it’s one thing to say that Arce was making his first appearance as a bantamweight, and perhaps should be given a break; However, it’s not a good indication of how things will be for him in the near future if he can’t beat someone at the level. Read the rest of this entry »



title Alexeev Stops Humphrey

aleev644644.jpgWBO Inter-Continental cruiserweight boxing champion Alexander Alexeev (12-0, 11 KOs) stopped Darrin Humphrey (24-6, 11 KOs) in the 4th round on Saturday night at the Stadthalle, Rostock, in Mecklenburg-Vorpommern, Germany. Humphrey, 33, an American, was dropped three times by the powerful Russian born Alexeev, who made it seem like target practice as he pelted him with sharp hooks to the head and body before the bout was ultimately stopped in the 3rd round after Humphrey’s corner threw in the white towel o signal surrender.

Alexeev, a highly skilled former amateur star from Russia – now living in Germany – was simply a class or two above Humphrey, something that was plainly obvious seconds into the bout as Alexeev skillfully bombed Humprey with hooks and uppercuts while calmly ducking all return fire coming his way. It was like watching a skilled musician playing alongside a novice, as Alexeev was a far superior fighter in every possible way. As such, Humphrey spent most of the first round eating punch after punch from Alexeev, who looked to be having an enjoyable time at the American’s expense. By the end of the round, Humphrey’s face looked as if a car had ran over it, as it was beet red and beginning to bruise up. Read the rest of this entry »



title Vazquez KOs Orozco!

vazquez_wilfredo4.jpgFeatherweight Wilfredo Vazquez Jr. (8-0, 7 KOs) – the son of former super bantamweight/featherweight champion Wilfredo Vazquez – TKO’d Benjamin Orozco (3-3, 2 KOs) in the third round on Friday night at the Kissimmee Civic Center, in Kissimmee, Florida. After a fairly even first round in which both fighters did substantial damage to each other with head and body shots, Vazquez hurt Orozco with a left hook late in the 2nd round. Orozco, 22, though was able to make it out of the round without going down – barely. However, in the 3rd round, Vazquez quickly moved forward and blasted Orozco out of there with a flurry of right hooks. Orozco remained standing, however, but was out on his feet when the referee stepped in and stopped it at 0:46 of the 3rd round.

In the first round, Vazquez showed an excellent left hook early on, landing it hard and getting Orozco’s attention with it. Read the rest of this entry »



title Sosnowski Stops Pucheta

sosnowski353535353.jpgWBF heavyweight champion Albert Sosnowski (41-1, 25 KOs) destroyed Argentinian challenger Manuel Alberto Pucheta (18-2, 12 KOs) in the 2nd round on Friday night at the Ice Rink, Kirkcaldy, in Scotland. Pucheta, 36, was knocked down three times in the process before the referee Terry O’Connor put a stop to the massacre at 2:03 of the 2nd round. Sosnowski, 28, nicknamed “The Dragon,” slowly stalked Pucheta in the first round, hitting him with right hooks and jabs, though mostly just stalking him.

Pucheta, for his part, looked badly out of shape, perhaps at least 30 lbs overweight. His conditioning or lack thereof, proved to be a problem for him, as he was already gasping for breath by the end of the first round and having difficulties keeping his hands up. He did, however, throw more punches than Sosnowski in the first round, though most of them were wild hammakers which badly missed Sosnowski. Towards the end of the round, Sosnowski landed a left-right combination and then another left hook that crashed into Pucheta’s face, sending him falling backwards to the ring ropes, where he then slid down to the canvas. Read the rest of this entry »



title Brahmer Destroys Veit

brahmer2323.jpgWBO Inter-Continental super middleweight champion Jurgen Brahmer (30-1, 24 KOs) destroyed challenger Mario Veit (49-4, 23 KOs) tonight, stopping him in four rounds tonight at the Stadthalle, Rostock, in Mecklenburg-Vorpommern, Germany. Brahmer, 28, totally dominated the bout, knocking Veit down twice and in the process, gaining revenge for an earlier majority decision loss last year. Fighting behind a strong jab, the southpaw brahmer stunned Veit, 33, in the first round after connecting with a double jab. Veit was able to weather the storm, but from there it was all down hill for the lanky Veit, who had major problems with Brahmer’s excellent jab.

In the first round, both fighters exchanged jabs, fighting cautiously and throwing few combinations. Brahmer spent most of the time stalking Veit, and trying to get in punching range for the taller fighter. The round was pretty much even until the near the end, when Brahmer connected with a double right jab, the second punching hurting Veit and knocking him backwards a couple of steps. Read the rest of this entry »



title Williamson vs. McCline

valuev0420.jpgAccording to the latest in boxing news gossip, heavyweight contenders Jameel McCline (38-7-3, 23 KOs) will go up against DaVarryl “Touch of Sleep” Williamson on October 6th, 2007, at Madison Square Garden, in New York City, New York. Both fighters are nearly 40, however, given the sorry shape of the heavyweight division, both are still near the top in terms of talent.

McCline, 27, was previously scheduled to fight Vitali Klitschko next in the Ukrainians’ comeback bout after two years away from boxing, but unfortunately, Vitali injured his back, requiring spinal surgery which will prevent him from taking on McCline. Never the less, Williamson, 39, may turn out to be a much more interesting fight for boxing fans, simply because of his all action style of fighting. Read the rest of this entry »



title Coming Soon? Povetkin vs. Wladimir Klitschko

povetkin33353535.jpgWith IBF heavyweight champion Wladimir Klitschko taking time off to heal his left hand, 2004 Olympic Gold medallist Alexander Povektin prepares to take on former WBO/IBF heavyweight champion Chris Byrd in the IBF box-off eliminator tournament, which also has Eddie Chambers facing Calvin Brock, with the eventual winner of the tournament earning the right to be Wladimir’s mandatory challenger next year. Povetkin, 28, appears to be the likely fighter that emerges as the challenger for Wladimir after the dust settles out.

Although, the 37-year old Byrd may have something to say about that if he has anything left in him. Povetkin, however, has perhaps the best offensive skills of the bunch along with sound defensive skills and endurance. Since turning professional in 2005, Povetkin has sliced through his opposition, beating tough fighters such as Friday Ahunanya, Ed Mahone, David Bostice and Larry Donald along the way. However, before meeting up with Wladimir, Povetkin will have to knock over the winner of Chambers and Brock. Read the rest of this entry »



Newsletter

The views expressed in all articles are those of the authors and do not necessarily reflect those of BoxingNews24 or its affiliates.

Privacy Statement l Back to top of page l Cookies Policy l Boxing Resources l Contact Us