By Scott Gilfoid: Matchroom Sport promoter Eddie Hearn says he sees his franchise fighter Anthony Joshua’s next fight against IBF heavyweight champion Charles Martin (23-0-1, 21 KOs) as a 50-50 fight on April 9 at the O2 Arena in London, UK. But in the next breath, Hearn insists that there’s no way that Joshua can be denied winning the IBF championship.
Hearn says he cannot see Joshua losing the fight, and he believes that his British fans will lead him to victory on the night with their cheering.
“The support he’s got from the British public to push him over the line could be the deciding factor in a very tough fight,” Hearn said to skysports.com.
By Scott Gilfoid: If it were up to former 168lb belt holder Carl Froch, he would have waited a little longer before putting unbeaten British heavyweight Anthony Joshua (15-0, 15 KOs) in with IBF heavyweight champion Charles Martin (23-0-1, 21 KOs).
Froch thinks the fight is coming a bit too soon for the 26-year-old Joshua, especially with the way he was shaken up in his last fight by Dillian Whyte when he was clipped with a hard left hand in the 2nd round.
Froch thinks that Joshua should have waited a couple of more fights before taking on the 6’5” Martin. Joshua and his promoter Eddie Hearn might have taken the fight out of fear that if they didn’t face the hard hitting Martin now, they might lose out on their chance due to the potential of him getting beaten by someone else before they ever get a crack at him.
By Matthias Predonzan: During this month, boxing fans have been taken surprise with the announcements of the Amir Khan vs. Saul “Canelo” Alvarez and the Anthony Joshua vs. Charles Martin fights. Canelo-Khan was really shocking news for everybody, and the Joshua-Martin fight announcement last Sunday was equally surprising that nobody expected. Joshua, 26, will be fighting IBF heavyweight champion Charles Martin (23-0-1, 21 KOs) for his title on April 9 at the O2 Arena in London, England.
Joshua (15-0, 15 KOs) himself and his promoter Eddie Hearn were previously very firm stating that it was too early for him to fight for a world title. Less than 2 weeks ago, Hearn articulated precisely the reason why his fighter was not going to fight against the 29-year-old Martin.
By Scott Gilfoid: In what could be a real bad omen, Wladimir Klitschko sent Anthony Joshua (15-0, 15 KOs) a Tweet today telling him to go out and kick backside in his title shot against IBF heavyweight champion Charles Martin (23-0-1, 21 KOs) on April 9 at the O2 Arena in London, UK. Wladimir was just beaten by Tyson Fury in his last fight in November of last year. It was easily the worst performance of Wladimir’s career.
If I’m Joshua, I’m not sure how I would take getting a thumb’s up Tweet from Wladimir. I mean, I’m kind of superstitious and something like that would have my spider senses going off the radar screen. I mean, the last thing that Joshua needs is to have Wladimir slapping him on the back and telling him to get Martin.
Martin is a very talented fighter and I don’t think he’s going to lose because he’s got the style and the size to defeat Joshua. It’s just a bad style match-up for Joshua, and I think his promoter Eddie Hearn royally blew it in deciding to let his golden goose take this dangerous fight.
By Scott Gilfoid: IBF heavyweight champion Charles Martin (23-0-1, 21 KOs) says he’s going to be looking to make a big statement when he comes over to the UK in less than two months from now on April 9 to defend his title against Britain’s Anthony Joshua (15-0, 15 KOs) at the O2 Arena in London, England.
Martin, 29, says he wants to show the boxing world just how good he is, and by beating Joshua, he’ll be doing that. If Martin can come back to America with Joshua’s scalp in his possession, then it will be showing that he’s not a paper champion like some fans think he is.
By Scott Gilfoid: Moments ago, Matchroom Sport promoter Eddie Hearn announced that 26-year-old Anthony Joshua (15-0, 15 KO) will be challenging IBF heavyweight champion Charles Martin (23-0-1, 21 KOs) in a fight on April 9 at the O2 Arena in London, UK. The Martin-Joshua fight will be televised on Sky Box Office pay-per-view. You can make an argument that the fight isn’t worthy of PPV, but given that Joshua is already fighting guys like Dillian Whyte on PPV, I guess this is something the British boxing public will gladly pay to see as well.
This is a big step up for the 6’6″ Joshua, who hasn’t done much to earn a world title shot other than beating 15 lesser fighters after turning pro in 2013.
Anthony Joshua MBE will challenge Charles Martin for the IBF World Heavyweight title at The O2 on April 9, live on Sky Sports Box Office.
Martin travels to England to make the first defence of the title that he landed in Brooklyn in January against Vyacheslav Glazkov, and the unbeaten Californian puts the belt on the line in his first fight outside the States.
By Scott Gilfoid: Matchroom Sport promoter Eddie Hearn is saying that he’ll be announcing the name on Sunday of unbeaten #2 WBC, #2 WBO heavyweight contender Anthony Joshua’s next opponent for April 9 at the O2 Arena in London, UK.
Hearn sent out a Tweet saying he’ll be announcing who the opponent is at 6:00 p.m. tonight. There aren’t any rumors now of who that fighter might be, but some boxing fans think it’ll be unbeaten Hughie Fury.
Last Saturday, Tyson Fury sent a Tweet saying “Some massive news coming soon, had to come to London for an urgent meeting about a massive fight, TBA very soon, u will not believe who!!!!!!”
By Scott Gilfoid: Since winning the vacant IBF heavyweight title with an impressive third round stoppage win over the previously unbeaten Ukrainian Vyacheslav Glazkov last month, champion Charles Martin (23-0-1, 21 KOs) has been targeted by a number of highly ranked contenders and other champions in the division.
One of the contenders that is interested in facing Martin is unbeaten #2 WBC, #2 WBO, #5 WBA Anthony Joshua (15-0, 15 KOs). His promoter Eddie Hearn is currently working on negotiating a fight with Martin’s management for April 9 at the O2 Arena in London, UK.
If that fight takes place, Haye sees Joshua ending it quickly with a fast knockout. In other words, Haye sees Joshua bum rushing the 6’5” Martin like he’s done with his first 15 opponents he’s faced since he turned pro in 2013.
By Scott Gilfoid: Matchroom Sport promoter Eddie Hearn believes that a fight can take place between his unbeaten contender Anthony Joshua (15-0, 15 KOs) and IBF heavyweight champion Charles Martin for April 9 at the O2 Arena in London, UK. Hearn sees whether the fight can be made entirely up to Martin and his management, because it’s a fight that he believes is doable if there’s genuine interest.
Martin would need to agree to fight in Joshua’s home country of the UK if he wants the fight. Unless Martin is going to get a ton of money, he might want to look in another direction. He doesn’t need to be fighting in front of a huge pro-Joshua crowd. Martin, 29, also doesn’t need to put himself in the position where he needs a knockout in order to win.
We’ve seen some controversial decisions/results in fights that have taken place in the UK over the years with visiting foreign fighters. I’m not sure that the 6’5” Martin will be too happy to find himself on the losing end of a controversial decision.
“If Martin is really genuine, then I think the fight will get made,” Hearn told ESPN. “My gut feeling is Charles Martin fancies the fight and there’s a huge amount of money on offer. We are in talks with Charles Martin’s team, there a long way to go, but he called out Joshua so we have to take it seriously.”