Dillian Whyte wants to avenge losses to Fury & Joshua after Franklin fight
By Barry Holbrook: Dillian Whyte wants to avenge the bitter knockout defeats he suffered at the hands of Tyson Fury and Anthony Joshua not long ago.
The loss to Fury last April was especially embarrassing for the 34-year-old Whyte, considering he was never competitive for an instant in that fight before getting knocked out in the sixth round.
Whyte (28-3, 19 KOs) has already avenged one of his losses from 2020, knocking out Alexander Povetkin in the fourth round last year. That was an impressive performance from Whyte, who blasted Povetkin out easily in Gibraltar in 2021.
Next on Dillian’s list of getting revenge is Joshua, provided that Whyte comes out victorious this Saturday night against the undefeated American Jermaine Franklin (21-0, 14 KOs) at the OVO Arena Wembley in London, England.
Franklin, 29, is a big puncher, but he’s never fought at the elite level, and he could be out of his league with this huge step up on Saturday night against Whyte. Of course, with Franklin’s punching power and his focus on throwing uppercuts, he could KO Whyte if he lands a shot on the button.
Franklin has the youth advantage over Whyte, and he’s at least as powerful as Povetkin and a bigger puncher than Fury. If those guys could knock out Whyte, you’ve got to give Franklin a real shot at doing that.
“I want to become heavyweight champion of the world, and I’d love to get the opportunity to avenge my two losses [to Anthony Joshua & Tyson Fury],” said Whyte this week during a workout to prepare for Jermaine Franklin on Saturday night.
“I’ve already avenged one [against Alexandr Povetkin]; I’d love to get the opportunity to avenge the other two,” said Dillian.
Whyte not told Joshua is next
“I’m ready to rock. I feel strong, fresh, and revived,” said Whyte to Boxing Social. “Of course, he’s feeling it. It’s a big fight, a big event. This is the biggest fight of his life, and obviously, this is a big fight for me to date,” Dillian said about his clash with Franklin.
“I’m going to try my best to knock him out. I’m going to try,” said Whyte about his opponent, the 29-year-old Franklin.
“Of course, they can box. They’re not going to come and fight me. They say they’re going to come and do this, that, and the other. I can box too. In heavyweight boxing, you can’t read into these things,” Whyte said about Franklin talking a lot when he’s not in the vicinity of him, but when they’re together, he’s quiet, letting his team do all the talking.
“A guy might look a certain way, but he comes and fights his a** off. I don’t read too much into that. It’s going down, baby. It’s going down.
“No one has said that to me. It’s been said in the media, but I don’t really care about that,” said Whyte about him supposedly being given a rematch with Anthony Joshua next if he’s victorious against Franklin on Saturday.
“In the heavyweight division, you can’t bank on. You have to take what’s there because a win doesn’t guarantee me nothing. It’s the heavyweight division.
“This is a business. We review all options and things, even if we’re not interested in reviewing them. I’m a professional. I’ve fought on Sky Sports; I’ve fought on Queensbury, so if they have something to say, I’ll listen. That’s all. I’m a professional,” said Whyte.
- Jermaine Franklin: Dillian Whyte “knows I won that fight”
- Dillian Whyte on Anthony Joshua rematch: “Money, money, money”
- Anthony Joshua not committing to Whyte rematch after his poor performance against Franklin
- Eddie Hearn criticizes fans for saying Whyte vs. Franklin was a robbery