Boxing News - Latest Headlines

Boxing Results: Samuel Teah and Jesse Hart Win in Philly!


By Ken Hissner: At the 2300 Arena in Philadelphia before a packed house, Friday Rodney Rice (RDR Promotions) in the Main Event presented Super Lightweight Samuel “Tsunami” Teah (Photo by Darryl Cobb Jr.) of Liberia and Philadelphia, scoring a sensational first round stoppage over Larry “Lethal” Fryers of Ireland and Yonkers, NY.

In the Co-Feature Main Event returning after 20 months, Philadelphia’s Super Middleweight 2-time world title challenger Jesse “Hard Work” Hart defeated Mike Guy of Sacramento, CA. over eight workman-like rounds.

In the Main Event Super Lightweight Samuel “Tsunami” Teah, 18-4-1 (8), #139.8, of Liberia and Philadelphia stopped Larry “Lethal” Fryers, 11-5 (4), #138.9, of Ireland and Yonkers, NY, at 2:24 of the first round of a scheduled ten rounds.

In the first round, Teah “teed off” on the oncoming Fryers with a right on the chin, dropping him for an 8-count from referee Shawn Clark. Teah jumped all over him with a flurry causing the referee to halt it.

In the Co-Feature Event, Super Middleweight 2-time world challenger Jesse “Hard Work” Hart, 27-3 (21), #169.5, of Philadelphia, defeated Mike Guy, 12-7-1 (5), #171, of Sacramento, CA, over eight rounds.

“Thank God for the win and looking forward to return matches,” said Teah.

In the first three rounds, Guy did too much grabbing into a clinch with Hart using a jab for the most part taking all the rounds. In the fourth round, Guy tried mauling Hart, who used several uppercuts in a close round.

In the fifth round, Hart, the taller of the two, used right uppercuts to the chin while inside against Guy. In the sixth round, Hart did more moving than punching, giving the round to the oncoming Guy. In the seventh round, Guy continued working inside with Hart’s uppercuts, mostly falling short in a close round.

In the eighth and final round, both mixed it up well enough in a sloppy round. Hart returning to the ring after 20 months didn’t have his timing down but did enough to take the round, Fred “Herk” Jenkins was in the corner for Hart. Referee Benjy Esteves had his work cut out for him with Guy doing too much holding.

Scores were 80-72 and 79-73 twice, with this writer 78-74.
“I want to thank God for the win. My timing was off, but after off for 20 months recovering from a broken hand, I did enough to win,” said Hart.

Super Bantamweight Romuel “Cuco” Cruz, 6-0-1 (2), #122.3, of PR and Philadelphia, won a disputed decision over Roberto “Esorpion” Pucheta, 10-20-2 (6), #122.5, of Jalisco, MEX, over six rounds.

In the first four rounds, Pucheta held a slight edge with too much holding and not enough fighting. In the fifth round, Pucheta went to the body of the taller Cruz, taking the round. In the sixth and final round, Cruz continued to jab and grab with Pucheta going to the body.
Scores were all 58-56, with this writer for Puchetta 59-55.

Lightweight Jabril “PEGESE” Noble, 2-0 (2), #134.5, of Philadelphia, stopped southpaw David “David Cabrera” Boria, 0-3 (0), #140, of Puerto Rico, at 1:24 of the fourth and final round of a 4.

In the first round southpaw, Boria made a fight of it, but Noble countered him well enough to edge out the round. In the second round, Noble landed half a dozen unanswered punches before Boria fought back, making it interesting in the final minute.

In the third round, it was close, with Noble finishing strong in the final minute, taking the round. In the fourth and final round, a 3-punch combination from Nobles had Boria reeling sideways when referee Shawn Clark waved it off.

Bantam Jerrod “The Golden Nugget” Minor, 2-12-2 (1), #116.6, of Philadelphia, won a majority decision over Josh “Florida Boy” Aarons, 0-0 (0), #116.3, of Williamsport, PA, over four rounds.

In the first round, Minor, the aggressor landing looping rights to the chin of Aarons. In the second round, Aaron’s outworked Minor in a close round. In the third round, Minor had an edge in a wild slugfest. In the fourth and final round, Aaron’s left hook and Minor’s overhand rights mixed it up well in a close round.

Scores were 38-38, 39-37, and 40-36, with this writer 38-38.
Middleweight Brendan O’Callaghan, 2-0 (1), #157.8, of Philadelphia, defeated Davon “D’Marque” Hall, 0-1 (0), #161, of Wilmington, DE, with a knockdown over four rounds.

In the first two rounds, O’Callaghan outworked Hall with accurate punching. In the third, O’Callaghan continued being the aggressor outscoring Hall. In the fourth and final round, halfway through a right from O’Callaghan on the chin, dropped Hall for an 8-count from referee Benjy Esteves. The rest of the way, both were throwing bombs.

Scores were all 40-35, as was this writer.
Impressive showing for Junior Welterweight southpaw Isaiah “Killa Duke” Johnson, 2-0 (2), #140.7, of Philadelphia, stopping Leonidas “King of the Ring” Fowlkes, 2-4 (0), #145.5, of Winchester, VA, at 2:15 of the third round of a scheduled four rounds.

In the first round, the southpaw Johnson used a snapping jab with occasional lefts to the chin of Fowlkes taking the round. In the second round, Johnson had Fowlkes against the ropes for the most part. In the third round, Johnson landed close to a dozen unanswered punches to the chin before referee Shawn Clark wisely called a halt.

Philly’s Nahir “Woo” Albright, 15-1, who three days ago had a major win over Michael Dutchover, 15-1, sang the national anthem prior to the co-feature. Marc Abrams did the interviewing of the winners while special guest former cruiserweight world champion Steve “USS” Cunningham was in attendance. The ring announcer was Henry “Discombobulating” Jones.

Related Boxing News:
Subscribe (Free!)

The views expressed in all articles are those of the authors and do not necessarily reflect those of Boxing News 24 or its affiliates.

Boxing News FB Boxing News Twitter Boxing News INstagram Boxing News 24 Youtuber Mail

Privacy Statement l TOS & Cookies Policy l Back To Top l Contact Us