Richard Commey to Devin Haney: ‘Stop kidding the public, you know I called you out’
By Allan Fox: Richard Commey is furious that WBC lightweight champion Devin Haney has been ignoring that he called him out. The former IBF 135-lb champion Commey (30-3, 27 KOs) is ready and willing to challenge Haney (26-0, 15 KOs) for his WBC strap next.
Earlier this week, there was a report that Commey, 34, will be facing Vasily Lomachenko next on December 11th. Unfortunately, there’s no such deal in place for the two to fight, and Commey is still looking for a big fight.
The Lomachenko vs. Commey fight can still get made, but as of now, Richard is looking for a straight shot at a world title against Haney.
He’s arguably the weakest of the champions at 135 right now, and it would be a very winnable fight for Commey if he could get a deal done.
Commey is ranked #6 with the World Boxing Council, which means the ONLY way he can get a title shot against WBC 135lb champion ‘The Dream’ Haney is if he gives him one in a voluntary title defense, which he and promoters at Matchroom Boxing might not be willing to do.
Haney, 22, is trying to land a fight with his WBC mandatory Joseph ‘Jo Jo’ Diaz Jr, but it looks as if he’s going to be facing Ryan Garcia. That’s the second mandatory for Haney, who has chosen NOT to fight him after winning a WBC-approved 135-lb title eliminator.
“Stop kidding the public, you know I called you out, but you choose to ignore it, call yourself a champ, my people have written to the @WBCBoxing to sanction the fight, you can run, but you can’t hide!!!!!” said Richard Commey on Twitter to Haney.
“Back to the LAB… Who’s next?” said Haney.
This is news to me, I’ve seen no contract and had no offer so make me one!!! https://t.co/LzMnP7Jr3d
— Richard Commey (@RichardCommey) July 31, 2021
“We haven’t received an offer; forget about a deal! @RichardCommey fears no one and is prepared to fight any big fight at 135. We are waiting for talks to progress. Bring on whoever if the deal is fair. #Boxing,” said promoter Lou DiBella, pointing out there is NO deal for Commey to fight Vasily Lomachenko on December 11th.
It’s not a good match-up for Commey to be taking on Lomachenko, as he would be facing a guy with a lot of technical ability, and it wouldn’t have a world title on the line.
Unless Top Rank will offer Commey a ton of money to fight Lomachenko, he’s better off trying to get a title shot against Haney. It doesn’t look good, though, on that front.
Matchroom Boxing promoter Eddie Hearn hasn’t said who he’ll have Haney defend against next now than Jo Jo Diaz Jr is out of the picture.
- Hearn furious with WBC ordering Ryan Garcia – Joseph Diaz, wants them to face Haney
- Devin Haney is dangerous – says Shawn Porter
- Devin Haney’s options for next fight: Richard Commey & Jovanni Staffon
- Ryan Garcia and Devin Haney trash talk reacting to Oscar Valdez’s test results